White Faced Ibis

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      On my morning walk with my dog along the Santa Ana River's dirt trail
      (adjacent to the bike trail), I was very pleasantly surprised to see a
      White Faced Ibis come in for a landing. It had the green iridescence
      highlighting the overall darkness of its nonbreeding plumage. The very
      distinctive bill alerted me -- I saw it flying from a distance and the
      green and brown made me think of a Green Heron but then I noticed the
      bill and the thinness, the slightness (oh, can we just call it the
      "jizz"?) of the bird and I knew it was a White Faced Ibis.

      This took place in the vegetation by the large spillway, halfway between
      Lakeview and Imperial. It spooked easily; it noticed me standing and
      watching it (my dog was sitting) and glided closer to the other side of
      the river. I continued my walk eastward (all the while mentally kicking
      myself for not having my small binocs, which I usually have handy) for
      about five minutes or so. Turning around, I noticed it was gone.

      That's in addition to the four American White Pelicans that have been
      hanging around there for a couple of weeks, and the usuals: Killdeers,
      Greater Yellowlegs, DC Cormorants, Common Mergansers, American Wigeons,
      American Coots, Mallards, Snowy Egrets, a Bufflehead or two, peeps, Black
      Phoebes, LBJs, gulls, gulls, and more gulls.

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim CA