A few birds

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2006
      Hi, I birded Oso Viejo Community Park today. A Summer Tanager and a
      Western Flycatcher were along Arbolitos Road at the upper entrance to
      the park and a Gray Flycatcher was in the stretch of lawn at the
      midpoint of the park. It has been a near record year for all three
      species in the county this winter, with these being the 9th records
      for both species of empids. By contrast, we've only had one Hammond's
      versus 10 (I think) last winter.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach
    • vireos44
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hi,

        The only gull highlight I had at Doheny today was an adult Thayer's
        Gull. Four Black Oystercatchers were feeding on the nearshore rocks. At
        Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach, an obvious hybrid Black X American
        Oystercatcher was feeding below the point at around 3pm. Well to the
        south, I got shaky looks under windy conditions of the
        relatively 'clean' American Oystercatcher. The only 'flaw' I could see
        was a very narrow darkish strip down the center of the otherwise white
        rump and uppertail coverts.

        Jim Pike
        Huntington Beach
      • vireos44
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2009
          Hi,

          A few belated birds to report. A Nashville Warbler was at Ralph Clarke
          park and a Greater White-fronted Goose was at Tri-city Park in
          Placentia on Saturday. On Tuesday, a first-cycle "Nelson's" Gull
          (Glaucous X Herring) was at Doheny. I placed a photo of it in the
          Miscellaneous file. Yesterday, the continuing 'Thick-billed' Fox
          Sparrow was in the nature center at Mile Square Park in Fountain
          Valley. It was in a large laurel sumac next to the unused, wooden
          sparrow-feeding structure. Well to the south of the nature area, an
          American Redstart (likely a young male) was along the fence which
          makes up the western perimeter of the golf course. It was in a stretch
          of about a dozen medium-sized oak trees.

          Jim Pike
          Huntington Beach
        • Jim
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2009
            Hi,

            Doug Willick and I birded a few inland spots today. Single Black-throated Gray and Yellow Warblers were at the end of Richfield Street in Anaheim, two Plumbeous Vireos, another Black-throated Gray, and a White-breasted Nuthatch were at Yorba Regional Park, and four Bullock's Orioles and a Western Tanager were at Pellanconi Park in the Anaheim Hills.

            Jim Pike
            Huntington Beach
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
              Hi,

              Doug Willick and I birded a few locations Sat/Sun. At Tri-City Park in Placentia yesterday were two male Bullock's Orioles and an adult Mew Gull. Today, a Western Flycatcher was in the north-central portion of Westminster Memorial Park, and a Golden-crowned Kinglet was in a row of juniper trees to the northwest of the entrance off Beach Blvd.

              Jim Pike
              HB
            • cany
              Message 6 of 6 , May 12 4:38 PM
                I birded Baker Canyon for four hours yesterday and was quite surprised at the numbers of Western tanagers. They seemed to be everywhere. They are also all over the canyons. Four raptors: Cooper's, red-shouldered, American Kestral and the ever-present red-tailed. Lots of Warbling vireos, Bullock's and Hooded orioles.

                Today, searched for the Franklin gull in Doheny (back and forth from the river mouth to the bait barge with stops in between), but did not find the bird before noon. Others had the same idea and I ran into a bevy of birders looking for that rascal.

                After photographing some nesting black-crowned elsewhere, I head to Bolsa Chica. Missed the Sora, but got the Clapper rail at about 2:15pm at the walkbridge. There seem to be two there. One was south of the walkbridge and one was north. I only saw the one to the south momentarily, but got a good ID pic of the one north of the walkbridge on the Coast highway side. Sneaky little rascals, but this bird repeatedly called for quite a while letting us know where it was.

                Good birding,
                Sherry Meddick
                Silverado