South County Christmas Bird Count

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2005
      The South Coast Christmas Bird Count was held today in southern Orange
      County. Last year we had 155 species of birds, and so far we have 157
      species.

      Looking over the list in rough taxonomic order... and comparing to
      last years count....

      We had two ocean species (Northern Fulmar and Pomerine Jaeger) not
      seen last year, but missed the alcids we recorded in 2004.

      Among the Gulls... we had had a Lesser Black-backed Gull show up at
      Doheny this last week...and it was seen early in the morning on
      Wednesday and was also seen on Thursday around 10 am on the spit at
      the separation of the ocean and the lagoon. We missed the Gull today
      (but it is on count week) but found an even more surprising
      individual, a Yellow-footed Gull, the second one we have had on the
      Christmas Bird Count for South County. Both individuals were found at
      Doheny State Beach in southern Orange County.... and if you bird there
      during the weekend get there early as the campers and others tend to
      drive the birds off the beach.

      We added 4 new species to our count list: Red Phalarope seen offshore
      and another in the lagoon under the southernmost bridge at Doheny
      State Beach; Gray Flycatcher at the San Juan Creek Golf Course in San
      Juan Capistrano, and female Broad-billed Hummingbird and
      Black-throated Sparrow....details to follow.

      Also gotten on this years count was a Rock Wren and Snowy Plover...
      both missing from our count last year.