Possible Wigeon Hybrid

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2005
      Greetings,

      Hansun Hung sent me a photo of a female Wigeon that has unusual
      markings. He photographed this bird at Upper Newport Bay at the end of
      San Joaquin Road about a week ago. I posted it in the photo folder
      titled "Wigeon (Hyb). A normal female American Wigeon is behind it in
      the same picture for comparison. My guess is that it is some form of
      hybrid. Any comments?

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • Eddie Chapman
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2005
        Hello Al,
        Interesting photo. The bird looks smaller, this of course could just be the
        angle that the picture was taken. Is there a size difference? If so how
        much?

        Regards,
        Eddie Chapman. Voss, Norway.
        Birding Scandinavia