Parrots & Osprey

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2005
      Early Sunday morning -- from 6:15 am to 8:45 am -- a friend, acting as a
      guide, and I went on what might be termed a parrot walk. The majority of
      the parrots were Red Crowned Parrots, but we also saw Lilac Crowned, Red
      Lored, White Fronted, and Blue Fronted Parrots. There was also a good
      turnout of Mitred Parakeets at one of the locations. It was interesting
      watching the interaction between the parrots and the crows -- they took
      turns chasing each other and yelling at each other, and there was no
      apparent territorialism involved. At the very high risk of sounding
      anthropomorphic, it just reminded me of playing tag -- "you're it!"

      Saturday morning, on my way to work, I stopped at the Carl's Jr. on La
      Palma and Tustin, and I saw Ozzie flying overhead with prey in his or her
      talons, being closely pursued by what seemed to be a mockingbird. Because
      I was in the process of making a left turn, I couldn't look too closely,
      but when I parked, I got out the binocs and saw that Ozzie had already
      eaten the prey and was on the north side of La Palma, solitarily circling
      over some industrial buildings.

      Sue Jorgenson
      Anaheim CA