Reminder - Clapper Rails at Upper Newport Bay

  • OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005

      Clapper Rails at Upper Newport Bay

      Date: Saturday, October 8, 2005
      Time: 4:00PM - 6:30PM PDT (GMT-07:00)

      TARGET BIRDS: Light-footed Clapper Rails as well as shorebirds,
      herons & egrets, grebes & ducks

      This special field trip will be conducted by Dick Zembal, the
      recognized authority on the Light-footed Clapper Rail. He will
      lead us on a short bird walk in the area around Shellmaker
      Island while his crew from the Clapper Rail Study Team trap and
      band Light-footed Clapper Rails. We will then get a good, close
      look at these elusive birds.We will meet in the Shellmaker
      parking lot ; restrooms are available.

      DIRECTIONS: From PCH in Newport Beach, take Jamboree
      inland.� Turn left at the 1st road you see on the left side -
      Back Bay Drive. Drive past the Dunes Resort and a large parking
      area marked by a chainlink fence which runs along the left side
      of the road. When the chainlink fence ends, watch for Shellmaker
      Road on your left; it will be the first and only left turn
      available to you after the end of the fence. � Turn left on
      Shellmaker Road, pass through the gate and drive to the parking
      lot. If you arrive early and the gate is not open, just park
      along the right side of the road and wait for someone to come
      and open it. Restrooms are available in the low brown building
      to the right of the parking lot. From the #405 or the #5
      freeways, exit on Jamboree and drive SW, toward the ocean.�
      After you pass San Joaquin Hills Rd., watch for the turnoff on
      your right marked Back Bay Drive.�This will be the last turn
      before you reach PCH. (This field trip is sponsored by Sea &
      Sage Audubon.)

      Nancy Kenyon, Field Trip Chair
      Irvine, CA
      kenyon@...