Bolsa Chica, HB, Ca. 7-30-05 evening

  • raulroa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2005
      Hello,

      Checked out high-tide Bolsa over the boardwalk from about 7 to 8 PM tonight. Very high
      tide, windy and cool. Smog covers the mountains to the east with some cumulonimbus
      clouds showing above the smog.

      Thousands of Terns, including Forster's, Elegant, Royal and Least (saw no Caspians but
      that does not mean they are not there). Something cause like it seemed all of the terns on
      the south sand island to take off at once a couple of times but I did not see any hawks or
      other predators around, only four AW Pelicans on the island itself amongst the many terns
      and b. skimmers. Saw:

      Terns as specified above
      American white pelicans (4)
      Brown pelican (flock of about 10)
      Black-crowned night herons (2 adults, 2 juvs)
      Snowy egrets
      Great egrets
      Great blue heron
      Black skimmers
      Willets
      Peeps flying by (type???)
      Curlew
      Dowitchers
      Marbled godwits
      Double crested cormorants
      Gadwalls
      One Sooty shearwater (new lifer for me) right over the boardway nice pic coming later

      Will post pics later tonight. I just need verification on that Sooty Shearwater although I
      checked my books, if someone can just verify for me, I would appreciate it. I'm putting
      this one up right now in this site's photo page.

      Regards,

      Raul Roa
      Whittier, CA