bolsa chica

  • Thomasabenson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2005
      I birded the north end of Bolsa Chica this morning from about 8-10am. There
      were thousands of migrating shorebirds, primarily western sandpipers and
      short-billed dowitchers. Of note among the common species were a black
      turnstone and a first winter common tern, as well as a red-breasted merganser (that I
      was informed was summering locally). 2 red-necked(presumably, they were at
      quite a distance) phalaropes were in a pond just south of Wintersburg Channel
      visible from the kiosk on the bluffs just to the north. No sign of any
      reddish egrets today.

      Good birding,

      Tom Benson
      San Bernardino, CA

    • kincheloemark
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2010
        I went by bolsa chica today

        American Bittern is back, it was seen to the left as you start to walk out on the boardwalk

        also seen Horned Grebe and at least 6 Ruddy Turnstones

        Mark Kincheloe
        Fountain Valley