Reminder - Batiquitos Lagoon

  • OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2005

      Batiquitos Lagoon

      Date: Sunday, May 15, 2005
      Time: 8:00AM - 12:00PM PDT (GMT-07:00)

      Batiquitos Lagoon is located on the coast in northern San Diego
      county, just north of Encinitas. The Lagoon is bordered by the
      ocean on the west, steep hills on the south, gentle slopes to
      the north, and San Marcos Creek on the eastern end. A large
      dredging and enhancement project was begun in 1994 to open the
      lagoon to the ocean�s tidal changes and flows, thus slowing
      down the filling of the lagoon with silt; the project was
      completed in 1997. There is now a small nature center and an
      excellent trail system at the lagoon. 165+ species have been
      reported there. Our field trip will be led by Steve Brad, a
      former Sea & Sage member who now lives in the area and birds
      Batiquitos frequently.

      DIRECTIONS: From Orange County, drive south on the I-5 to
      Carlsbad and exit on Poinsettia Lane. Drive east and turn right
      (south) on Batiquitos Drive (the 2nd stoplight past the
      freeway). Drive down the hill toward the lagoon and turn right
      onto Gabbiano Lane. Drive to the end and park; we will meet
      there. Steve says there are nesting egrets, herons, and a
      Red-shouldered Hawk in the area, and that it is a great place to
      bird by ear. The outing will end at 12 noon. (This field trip
      is sponsored by Sea & Sage Audubon.)

      Leader: Steve Brad