Bolsa Chica Birds

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 46 , Apr 1, 2005
      Greetings,

      I spent some time this morning at the wooden bridge at Bolsa Chica.
      The most noteworthy bird was a Brant feeding on the south side of the
      bridge at the point where the bridge makes a joggle. Also, early in
      the AM, there were several White Pelicans. The common birds were Ruddy
      Ducks (some males in alternate plummage) Eared Grebes (some in
      alternate plummage) Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, Double-crested
      Cormorants (some showing the white ear tufts), a few Scaup. Two days
      ago I saw a Horned Grebe in alternate plummage there as well but
      missed it today. Caspian's Terns, Royal Terns, Elegant Terns,
      Forster's Terns flew over periodically. Shore birds included Willets,
      Dowitchers, Black-necked Stilts, Marbled Godwits,. Some Whimbrels and
      Long-billed Curlews flew past as well.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • rogerschoedl
      Message 46 of 46 , May 18, 2013
        I had only a fleeting view of the CLAPPER RAIL from the Bolsa Chica footbridge this morning. I heard a second in the far distance. Also saw a male RED-NECKED PHALAROPE foraging by the north side of the eastern part of the footbridge. I ran into Trish Gussler who found a HORNED GREBE in alternate plumage at the first lookout. Otherwise, bird activity was low due to the breezy conditions.

        Later went to Harriet Wider Park with Trish. We didn't see anything terribly exciting there. Considering the numbers present last weekend, warblers were surprisingly sparse.

        Roger Schoedl
        Huntington Beach