Upper Newport Bay and Laguna Nigel Regional Park highlights

  • Dave Kiehl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      At UNB this morning, I spotted a Eurasian Wigeon with
      a mixed flock of American Wigeon and Green-winged
      Teal. there also was a flock of about 20 Blue-winged
      Teal in a flooded area toward the north end of Back
      Bay Drive that is usually a mud flat and occupied by
      Killdeer.

      Late this afternoon at LNRP, of four Kingbirds I saw,
      one was definitely a Western (distinctly whitish
      throat and chest) and another a Cassin's, the other
      two were indeterminate.

      I also saw what appeared to be a very light-colored
      Red-tailed Hawk from the front. It's chest was white
      with the exception of a few non-contiguous dark (black
      or dark brown) feathers forming a "V". It's head and
      throat were a bright rusty brown. I only saw a bit of
      one of its wings before it flew away while I watched a
      Western Bluebird watching me, but that bit seemed to
      have a fair amount of light-colored feathering.

      As I was leaving and had reached the place where the
      road crosses the stream, a Common Moorhen nonchalantly
      crossed the road in front of me to end my birding day.

      Dave Kiehl
      San Jose