Orange county Birds

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2005
      Greetings,

      Steve Smith sent me a photo, today Tuesday, of a Long-billed Curlew,
      at Bolsa Chica, have a bit of lunch so I posted it in the photo
      folder. Enjoy. He also said he saw Bald Eagle #35 over Bolsa Chica as
      it was flying south at about noon.

      In the meantime, I was at Upper Newport Bay and found an unusually
      colored Teal. It is probably a partial albino Blue-winged Teal as it
      seems to hang out with a couple of normal plummaged males. The Teal
      exhibited a lot of white on the wing feathers with the rest of the
      body in normal female colors. It was in the creek/channel at the
      junction of Back Bay Drive and San Joaquin Hills Road. All the other
      regular teal species were there as well.

      Along the nature trail that skirts the east side of the reed-infested
      pond, there were two White-tailed Kites (I believe that is this year's
      name for them) in a leafless tree at the southern end of the trail. A
      Fox Sparrow popped up out of the thicket there as well. I believe it
      to be of the Sooty race as it's chest and sides were almost solid dark
      brown to gray.

      In the area were a number of male Allen's Hummingbirds, each defending
      it's meager scrub patch.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA