Bolsa Chica Birds

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 3, 2004
      Greetings,

      I spent some time this morning, Friday, at Bolsa Chica. There are more
      adult male Surf Scoters than in previous weeks. Most were north of the
      flood gates. I think I saw the Ferruginous Hawk that Steve Smith has
      seen in the past. It was on one of the dead limbs behind the fence in
      the Heron Rookery on the mesa. The two Red-tailed Hawks were there as
      well (one of them appears to be a rufous morph). I think we called it
      a dark morph in earlier postings but I believe now it is a rufous
      morph. Farther east on the mesa a coyote was resting on the edge of
      the bluff when a Northern Harrier cruised by at ground level. The
      coyote leaped up at it, the harrier flared up and the coyote missed
      it's tail feathers by a few inches.

      At approx 10:30 AM, the female goldeneye was feeding in the channel
      along PCH approx 100 YDS south of the tide gates.

      Several Common Yellowthroats were working the bushings along the
      concrete path just north of the bridge parking lot.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • rogerschoedl
      Message 46 of 46 , May 18, 2013
        I had only a fleeting view of the CLAPPER RAIL from the Bolsa Chica footbridge this morning. I heard a second in the far distance. Also saw a male RED-NECKED PHALAROPE foraging by the north side of the eastern part of the footbridge. I ran into Trish Gussler who found a HORNED GREBE in alternate plumage at the first lookout. Otherwise, bird activity was low due to the breezy conditions.

        Later went to Harriet Wider Park with Trish. We didn't see anything terribly exciting there. Considering the numbers present last weekend, warblers were surprisingly sparse.

        Roger Schoedl
        Huntington Beach