bolsa chica

  • su anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      I will be in Orange County this weekend and had my heart set on
      birding Bolsa Chica. I see that due to construction there are changes
      in access. I noted in message #1431 that access through the south end
      is being used. Is this the best approach? Will I be able to go
      through the entire area? Any help greatly appreciated.
      su anderson
      corte madera,ca (marin co.)
    • vicleipzig@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        In a message dated 12/1/2004 8:20:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        suanderson@... writes:
        I will be in Orange County this weekend and had my heart set on
        birding Bolsa Chica. I see that due to construction there are changes
        in access. I noted in message #1431 that access through the south end
        is being used. Is this the best approach? Will I be able to go
        through the entire area? Any help greatly appreciated.
        su anderson
        corte madera,ca (marin co.)
        Su Anderson asked about access to Bolsa Chica. Although major construction
        is underway, there are still three points of public access.
        1. The Harriett Wieder Regional Park children's playground area offers great
        views of the seasonal ponds at the south end of BC. From Pacific Coast
        Highway, go inland about half a mile on Seapoint Ave. The playground parking will
        be on the left, but a roadway median requires you to go a short way past the
        playground and make a u-turn in order to get to it.
        2. The boardwalk (walkbridge) along PCH is still open to the public and the
        birding in this area has been very good recently (e.g. two American Bitterns
        for the past 10 days). However, the loop trail is closed near the far end of
        the boardwalk.
        3. The parking area off Warner Avenue and the interpretive center are still
        open to the public. The interpretive center has recently received some
        upgrades of its exterior and of its displays. Bolsa Chica is definitely still open!

        Vic

        G. Victor Leipzig, Ph.D.
        17461 Skyline Lane
        Huntington Beach, CA 92647
        (714) 848-5394
        vicleipzig@...
        www.southwestbirders.com

      • Thomasabenson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2005
          I birded the north end of Bolsa Chica this morning from about 8-10am. There
          were thousands of migrating shorebirds, primarily western sandpipers and
          short-billed dowitchers. Of note among the common species were a black
          turnstone and a first winter common tern, as well as a red-breasted merganser (that I
          was informed was summering locally). 2 red-necked(presumably, they were at
          quite a distance) phalaropes were in a pond just south of Wintersburg Channel
          visible from the kiosk on the bluffs just to the north. No sign of any
          reddish egrets today.

          Good birding,

          Tom Benson
          San Bernardino, CA

        • kincheloemark
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2010
            I went by bolsa chica today

            American Bittern is back, it was seen to the left as you start to walk out on the boardwalk

            also seen Horned Grebe and at least 6 Ruddy Turnstones

            Mark Kincheloe
            Fountain Valley