Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Pine Siskins

  • Metallego@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2000
      Well, I will combine my own semi-educated opinion with what I've heard from
      others to answer Nancy's questions about WHY all the mountain birds are
      showing up places other than the mountins.

      Theory 1: Lack of sufficient rain (dare I say drought) has caused a shortage
      of food sources in the local mountains, forcing birds like chikadees,
      siskins, and crossbills down into the coastal areas from the San Gabriel, San
      Bernardino, San Jacinto and Santa Ana Mountains.

      Theory 2: Extensive fires last summer in the Rockies and elsewhere in the
      western portion of the United States have forced birds from those areas to
      travel long distances to find sustainable winter food sources.

      Theory 3: Both of the above.

      Theory 4: None of the above.

      For this reason, birds like snowy owls, chickadees, crossbills, etc., would
      be most affected by these theories. Birds like curlew sandpiper, however,
      which rarely but regularly show up along our coast from Siberia are probably
      not a result of this phenomenon. If theory 2 is correct, we should be paying
      special attention to determine whether or not any of the birds showing up are
      of the Rocky Mtn subspecies.

      These are just my random rambling theories. I would like to hear what anyone
      else has to say about this.

      Tom Benson
      Metallego@...
    • Nancy and Richard Kenyon
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2000
        To Tom and anyone else with information on the subject:

        The Snowy Owl was mentioned as a possible montane species showing up in
        lower elevations this year. Does anyone know where I might find a Snowy?
        This is a bird I have always wanted to see!!!!!!!!! Any reliable information
        would be appreciated.

        Nancy Kenyon
        kenyon@...
      • Steve Sosensky
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2000
          At 11:54 PM 12/10/00, Nancy and Richard Kenyon wrote:
          >The Snowy Owl was mentioned as a possible montane species showing up in
          >lower elevations this year. Does anyone know where I might find a Snowy?
          >This is a bird I have always wanted to see!!!!!!!!! Any reliable information
          >would be appreciated.

          Nancy,

          Snowy Owl is not a montane species. It is a tundra species and prefers the
          shoreline. Its primary diet is lemmings, and it disperses south when the
          lemming population crashes. There are currently Snowy Owls along the New
          England shore and I think there may be some in Washington and Oregon.

          A nice article about Snowy Owls in general, and my sister finding one in
          particular, is in the following article from the Hartford Courant.

          http://www.ctnow.com/scripts/editorial.dll?fromspage=CG/articles/life.htm&categoryid=&bfromind=1221&eeid=3564545&eetype=article&render=y&ck=&ver=2.11

          Good birding,
          Steve <mailto:steve@...>

          10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W