Where are the Housefinches?

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
      About 3 weeks ago we were glad to see that Housefinches had returned
      to our feeders. Now we note that we rarely see them visiting
      our backyard. I've made sure that the seeds are fresh, the feeders
      are clean, the water is clean and fresh, etc. The Cooper's Hawk has
      certainly been active, but that has never shut down the little birds
      so totally before, so I don't think that's the problem. To my
      knowledge, there aren't any cats in the feeder area as it's patroled
      by our dog, and he ignores the birds.
      Do any of you have any idea of what may be the problem or what has
      happened to the Housefinhces?

      Delores Jenisch
    • Nancy and Richard Kenyon
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2000
        To Delores and other Backyard Birdfeeding Enthusiasts,

        You might try offering sunflower seeds. Dripping water also can be an
        attraction. In my yard, the HOFI flock didn't show up until this week;
        before that time, I had only seen 1-5 birds at the most. Though HOFI are
        resident birds, I'm speculating that they may go off in large foraging
        flocks after nesting season, during the fall and winter months. Our
        backyard feeders get the large flock at mid day now, which is probably just
        as well because they eat more seed than even the Mourning Doves!

        Nancy
      • Allen, Bob
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2000
          Our backyard feeders in Mission Viejo are swarmed with House Finches! The
          males are already displaying bright reddish colors!

          Our backyard birds right now are: House Finches, Acorn Woodpeckers (they
          nest year-round in our alder tree), Dark-Eyed Juncos, Western Scrub Jays,
          Mourning Doves, House Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, White-Crowned Sparrows,
          Lesser Goldfinches, & Anna's Hummingbirds.

          Bob Allen