Night heron near Vandenberg Air Force Base

  • Beverly Gandall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
      Hi

      I was outside of Lompoc, Ca last week at a marshy waterway just outside the fencing closing off access to the beach protecting nesting snowy plovers. In late afternoon, a friend and I observed a night heron at quite a close range which appeared to have a yellow breast. I was surprised and checked with one of the security persons enforcing the restricted beach area. He had seen it there for several days.

      Comments?

      Beverly

    • Nancy and Richard Kenyon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
        I would be cautious about identifying a bird by the color of its breast in
        late afternoon. The lower level of the sun often tends to tint colors, at
        that time of day, making them appear warmer in hue. Rather than trying to
        make that night-heron into some other species, you need to look at other
        things such as general body shape, bill length, neck thickness, behavior,
        etc. Then peruse your field guide carefully before coming to a decision.

        Nancy Kenyon
      • Beverly Gandall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
          Thank you. Tom. It surely was a night heron and mature. It was at quite a
          close range and stayed for a long time. The ranger had seen the same on
          more than one occasion or we would have thought we saw wrong. I wondered
          had anyone on the list ever seen this coloring. As you suggest, it probably
          was 2) I wonder also about pollutants; the marsh is right off the base and
          in a region heavily into farming.

          Beverly

          .