Owls, Nighthawks & poorwills

  • Lori Conrad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2004
      Hi all

      We just got back from visiting our traditional spot for easy night birds: Irvine Regional Park. We got there in the late afternoon, had a BBQ, then went night-birding! Just at dusk, along the extreme eastern edge of the park, we had several calling Poorwills, & at least 2 Lesser Nighthawks flying around our heads. This is where the road bends to the left (north), but no vehicles are allowed, & the road turns into cement & crosses the wash/riverbed. On our way back to our vehicles, we had 2 Western Screech Owls in an oak next to group parking lot #3. They were calling to each other, then flitting about in an opening in the oak, apparently catching the flying bugs that were attracted to the bright light that was adjacent to the tree. They finally landed on a main horizontal branch & checked us out! Very cool! This spot has been very reliable over the years.

      Lori & Mark Conrad
      Hermosa Beach, CA