Indigo Bunting Saves Central Park...

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'm passing this along with permission....sent to the OrCoRBA. Joel
      Weintraub

      Just a story with a moral. While looking for the Indigo Bunting today
      (Monday) at 1130 in the Jack Green area of Central Park, I noticed
      someone in the northern cockleburrs (near 13ext on your map). That
      person set a fire. I saw it early and celphoned to HBFD. The flames
      got to a good 10 feet high for a brief time before they came. They
      took about 1/2 hour to get it out. You can't see it from the asphalt
      trails but there is one tall tree that is visibly scorched. It was
      mostly the dense underbrush in the center of the cockleburrs. Someone
      else gave a good description of the bum who did it. Turns out to be a
      registered sex offender. The cop who was taking mine and the other
      witness' story told me lots of minor drug and indecent exposure
      arrests happen in those hidden areas of the park. She said always to
      take a cel phone if you're going to be poking around in there with
      expensive binoculars and cameras, just in case.

      Rick Shearer

      Fountain Valley