Western Kingbirds at Lakeview crossing of Santa Ana River

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2004
      We saw one Western Kingbird near the children's play
      structure in Riverdale Park (downstream of Lakeview
      crossing) and one later on further downstream at the Orange
      Olive Rd. parking pullout. I suppose it could have been
      the same bird as there was an hour's time between the two
      sightings. Both birds were quite close to us when we
      watched them so their distinctive features were fully noted.

      The Black-necked Stilts are nest-sitting and nest-guarding
      with real dedication. One in particular was chasing ALL
      intruders from its territorial circle, especially that
      hungry looking Great Egret.

      Several young broods of Wood Ducks and a couple of broods of
      baby Mallards were all great fun to watch.

      Two Snowy Egrets were especially animated in their
      attraction to each other with their plumes fluffy in the wind.

      There were, at one particular time, three Black-crowned
      Night Herons flying both upstream and down. Later on, a BCN
      Heron was down in the flowing water of the spillway, acting
      for all the world like the nearby hungry Great Egret...out
      in full view, walking slowly and peering intently into the
      water.

      Species #30 on our list was the Red-shouldered Hawk.
      Actually, there three of them suspended together high
      overhead. Beautiful.

      We're prolonging the packing for moving as long as we can by
      going birding. Much more enjoyable.

      "Good birding" to you all.

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton, North Orange County