Another Numbered Eagle

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 6:47 AM
      With permission, I'm copying to you an email I got from John Bradley
      of the Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge. This is on restricted
      property. Joel Weintraub

      About a month ago, Bob Schallmann (biologist for the Seal Beach Naval
      Weapons Station) and I observed an immature bald eagle in the
      agricultural fields of the station between I-405 and Westminster Blvd.
      The number "35" was printed in black on orange patagial tags. The bald
      eage was lunching on the ground in the field on an immature red-tailed
      hawk. When flying around he was mobbed by up to a half dozen
      red-tails. Upon further inquiry, Bob discovered that the bird was
      hatched at the San Francisco Zoo and later released on Catalina as
      part of a program to re-introduce the bald eagle on the Channel
      Islands (previously extirpated as a result of DDT). When Bob spoke
      with one of the principal investigators of the project, he was told
      that number #35 had been spotted the week before off the coast of
      Oregon. Number #35 was again spotted on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons
      Station and resting on mudflats and flying over the National Wildlife
      Refuge yesterday (Wally Ross) and today (myself et al.) during the
      morning. A golden eagle has also been perched and flying around the
      Station during the past two months. R/ John Bradley, Refuge Manager, SBNWR