Avian Resilience Study

  • DW Emory
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      As you may know, Castaways Park in Newport Beach, where I walk the dog and
      look for birds almost daily, is undergoing "revegetation." Over almost the
      entire area of the park, most of the existing vegetation was ripped out,
      temporary fences were erected, and the area was plowed, furrrowed, and dug
      out to prepare it for pllanting, and to install a vast new network of
      underground pipes for irrigation. The project has been underway for about a
      month, and will continue for at least another month. About 5-10 workers are
      there daily, along with their mechanical equipment (a Bobcat digger, for
      instance).

      The effect on the birdlife was expectable. Most species disappeared. A
      Kestreal, for instance, had been using the park all winter is its prime
      hunting ground. The bird abandoned its daily perch, overlooking a mother
      lode of Jerusalemn Crickets. A sizable flock of American Pipits returned
      following the first rain after the area was initially plowed, but they've
      been driven off again by all the activity.

      When the revegetation project is completed (end of March is the plan), the
      habitat will be substantially changed, hopefully for the better.

      I think it might be a worthwhile project to observe what happens during and
      after the project is completed. That is, it could serve as a laboratory for
      studying how rapidly the bird population resettles the park, including
      which species there before permanently abandon the park, and which new
      species, if any, move in.

      Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about how I (and perhaps
      others) should proceed?

      Dan Emory
      Newport Beach, CA 92663
      949-722-8971