RE: [OrangeCountyBirding] LA Times Book Review

  • DW Emory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
      At 06:40 AM 1/21/04 -0800, Mike Feighner wrote:
      >DW Emory:
      >
      >How about posting the online link to this article? There are many people
      >like me not from Orange County and do not have access to the newspaper you
      >quote.

      Since you must be registered in order to read the article on-line, I
      provide the complete article below:
      ===================================
      The first myth: Birding is boring
      The Verb 'To Bird'; Peter Cashwell; Paul Dry Books, $14.95

      January 20, 2004

      By now it's well established that bird-watching is one of the
      fastest-growing and most dynamic outdoor pursuits in the United States, but
      you'd never know it by looking at the rather staid genre of bird
      literature. Whether you pick up one of the countless field guides or tales
      of "my great birding adventure," you stop paying attention after a while,
      because the language is as interesting as having oatmeal every morning.

      Into the morass come the lively ramblings of a bird-watching wordsmith, who
      finds humor in the misunderstandings that arise between those who eagerly
      watch birds and those who think that a falcon is only a type of car. Not
      even exalted poets escape the acerbic wit of Cashwell, as he winces at
      depictions of birds by Keats, Wordsworth and Coleridge. Cashwell's
      long-suffering wife, friends and colleagues fare no better in his incessant
      focus on all things feathered. This humorous book is bound to make birders
      feel more at home in their obsession and help everyone else better
      understand this terrible affliction.

      — David Lukas

      DW Emory <danemory@...>