Help with ID

  • Joel Weintraub
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      Group...

      I was at Doheny State Beach today...found an unusual? bird that I need
      help with the id. This is like the Birding magazine feature!! but
      with one exception...the bird is headless. Oh well....

      The bird was on the beach by the rock area leading to the
      harbor...that's near "polio" creek as the locals call it. I don't
      have that much familiarity with pelagics... I get too seasick... (If
      God had wanted us to go on water he would have put our noses on top of
      our heads).... but... I didn't take any feathers or the carcass...
      and as I was leaving there was a sand cleaning tractor in the area, so
      the bird might not be around any more.

      Doheny has on the "official list" that I and Mary Jane Roberts keep, 3
      Shearwaters... Sooty, Black-vented, and an early record of a
      Pink-footed (which I believe was a dead specimen).

      Now I know there is a tendency that when given a choice between a
      common species, and a rare one, we violate logic and probability and
      usually choose the rare one.

      So... I'm posting in the temporary file on the photo section 6 jpgs
      taken this morning of the bird.... What do you think it was? I'm
      thinking it was a Short-tailed Shearwater but could be very very
      wrong.

      After I send this post I'll start to upload the jpgs. The lens cap in
      photo 6 is a 41 mm cap (which I subsequently lost!).
    • y9830855
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        what about a young Heerman's gull (L.heermanni), the bird shows the two tone
        retrices and tail and the wing loading is too high for a shearwater.

        Alex

        Alexander Lees
        University of California Irvine

        >===== Original Message From "Joel Weintraub" <JWeintraub@...> =====
        >Group...
        >
        >I was at Doheny State Beach today...found an unusual? bird that I need
        >help with the id. This is like the Birding magazine feature!! but
        >with one exception...the bird is headless. Oh well....
        >
        >The bird was on the beach by the rock area leading to the
        >harbor...that's near "polio" creek as the locals call it. I don't
        >have that much familiarity with pelagics... I get too seasick... (If
        >God had wanted us to go on water he would have put our noses on top of
        >our heads).... but... I didn't take any feathers or the carcass...
        >and as I was leaving there was a sand cleaning tractor in the area, so
        > the bird might not be around any more.
        >
        >Doheny has on the "official list" that I and Mary Jane Roberts keep, 3
        >Shearwaters... Sooty, Black-vented, and an early record of a
        >Pink-footed (which I believe was a dead specimen).
        >
        >Now I know there is a tendency that when given a choice between a
        >common species, and a rare one, we violate logic and probability and
        >usually choose the rare one.
        >
        >So... I'm posting in the temporary file on the photo section 6 jpgs
        >taken this morning of the bird.... What do you think it was? I'm
        >thinking it was a Short-tailed Shearwater but could be very very
        >wrong.
        >
        >After I send this post I'll start to upload the jpgs. The lens cap in
        >photo 6 is a 41 mm cap (which I subsequently lost!).
        >

        >To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the
        archives at:
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/

      • Elsa
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2009
          I was at the SJWS yesterday and caught images of a high fying bird that doesn't quite match anything in my book, please help. I posted two photos. One is of the high flying (hawk or eagle???) and a second of a sandpiper that I am also have trouble identifying. I used photoshop to combine two images in one shot of the hawk. I think the sandpiper may be a pectorial or sharptail or am I completely wrong as usual. Could anyone recommend a field guide for me. I have been using the national Geogrphic but I would like a second book to compare with it.

          Elsa Weber
          Aliso Viejo
        • Thomasabenson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2009
            Hi Elsa,

            The sandpiper is a Pectoral Sandpiper and the hawks appear to be Red-tailed Hawks.

            Tom Benson

            San Bernardino, CA

            I was at the SJWS yesterday and caught images of a high fying bird that doesn't

            quite match anything in my book, please help. I posted two photos. One is of the

            high flying (hawk or eagle???) and a second of a sandpiper that I am also have

            trouble identifying. I used photoshop to combine two images in one shot of the

            hawk. I think the sandpiper may be a pectorial or sharptail or am I completely

            wrong as usual. Could anyone recommend a field guide for me. I have been using

            the national Geogrphic but I would like a second book to compare with it.

            Elsa Weber

            Aliso Viejo

            ------------------------------------

            Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own

            risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification

            & currently accepted names. Please do not use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu

            of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

            All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California

            (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your

            name. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status.

            Repeat offenders will be banned.

            To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives

            at:

            To see photos of birds being discussed (if available) see:

            Individual Email | Traditional

            (Yahoo! ID required)

            mailto:OrangeCountyBirding-digest@yahoogroups.com

            mailto:OrangeCountyBirding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com