Eur. Wigeon at Clark Park

  • Delores Jenisch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Clark Park today was, indeed, a treat
      to see. Several other birders were there looking for it too. William and
      I stayed at one spot up in the NE corner of the park looking for it for
      almost 30 min without any luck. Shortly after we turned back down the
      path along the golf course, we were called back by one of the other
      birders. They had tracked the Scissor-tailed from down in the lower part
      of the park up to where it landed in a bare tree on the north side of
      Rosecrans...just across from the spot we had just left. We sure
      appreciated their calling us back! Beautiful bird.

      The immature male Eurasian Wigeon in the closest pond near the entrance
      to the park was also a real delight to watch. Because we could get so
      close to it we could see each and every feather and feature. What a
      riotous assortment of color, what with adult feathers coming in. Now
      this bird will be a great practice bird for doing a complete ID write-up
      (as we learned to do in the Observational Skills Workshop with Sylvia
      Gallagher). If you see us some time this week sitting on the bench
      writing up our notes, please feel free to stop by and see how we're doing.

      Cassin's Kingbirds were all over the place, chatting and fussing,
      flitting and flying. Saw many of the "regulars" in the time we had, but
      no Great Horned Owls this weekend.

      Good birding to you all.

      Delores Jenisch
      Fullerton, North Orange County