Which Goldfinch?

  • Russell Sipe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2003
      I took my first walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary this weekend.
      The highlight of the walk were the two dozen American White Pelicans
      that soared overhead and later landed on Pond 3. I was mesmerized by
      their feeding behavior which alternately reminded me of a ballet
      and/or a solemn religious procession.

      I created a page on my birding web site with comments and photos of
      the day. In particular I would appreciate any comments group members
      might have about the goldfinches I saw. Are they Lessers or
      Americans. I created a slideshow of the bird(s).

      You can see them at:
      http://www.sipe.com/birding/html/part1_sjws1.html

      Thanks in advance for your comments.

      Russell Sipe
    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2003
        I would think Lesser goldfinch. The Americans tend to
        be a very bright yellow with balck caps, and the
        Lesser are a more muted yellow and have greenish
        backs.

        Nancy

        --- Russell Sipe <sipe@...> wrote:
        > I took my first walk at San Joaquin Wildlife
        > Sanctuary this weekend.
        > The highlight of the walk were the two dozen
        > American White Pelicans
        > that soared overhead and later landed on Pond 3. I
        > was mesmerized by
        > their feeding behavior which alternately reminded me
        > of a ballet
        > and/or a solemn religious procession.
        >
        > I created a page on my birding web site with
        > comments and photos of
        > the day. In particular I would appreciate any
        > comments group members
        > might have about the goldfinches I saw. Are they
        > Lessers or
        > Americans. I created a slideshow of the bird(s).
        >
        > You can see them at:
        > http://www.sipe.com/birding/html/part1_sjws1.html
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your comments.
        >
        > Russell Sipe

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Joseph Morlan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2003
          On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:02:55 -0800 (PST), Nancy <njfwalking@...>
          wrote:

          >I would think Lesser goldfinch. The Americans tend to
          >be a very bright yellow with balck caps, and the
          >Lesser are a more muted yellow and have greenish
          >backs.

          Lesser Goldfinches tend to be brightly colored year-round while American
          Goldfinches turn brown in the winter. The picture I saw was a winter
          American Goldfinch.

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
          California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2003
            Thanks to all who replied. I've received about ten messages. It
            seems clear that the bird in question is an American Goldfinch.

            Russell Sipe

            --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Sipe"
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2003
              Thanks, Joseph. I didn't account for the time of
              year. You're right; sure sounds like an American.

              Now I have to go take a close look at my thistle
              feeders... :-)

              Nancy