Oak Canyon Nature Center

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2003
      This morning, from 9:15 to 11:30 or so, another list member and I birded
      Oak Canyon Nature Center. The bugs were definitely out in full force!
      Here is what we saw with a question or two:

      Acorn Woodpeckers
      Nuttall's Woodpecker
      -- is it possible to have a Ladderbacked Woodpecker down here? This was
      separate and distinct from the Nuttall's and even more spotted front &
      back, no red at all.
      Mourning Doves
      Turkey Vultures
      House Finches (in pairs)
      Bushtits
      female Yellow Warbler
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Allen's Hummingbird (after about twenty minutes of comparing between
      Sibley, Stokes, RTP guides and discussing - and for once, that Allen's
      actually...POSED...and preened!)
      California Thrashers - in trees and on the ground; we saw one
      tree-hopping and chowing down on berries; there were two or three on the
      ground elsewhere.
      Black Headed Grosbeak
      Scrub Jays
      Mockingbirds

      Two hawks who went by so quickly we didn't get a chance to really ID -
      one may have been a Red Shouldered Hawk, it had a rufous belly and
      breast. She saw one way up in the sky without the TV "fingers" so figured
      it was a larger hawk.

      Jury's still out on whether it was a Wilson's Warbler she saw or a Lesser
      Goldfinch I saw; same bird, two different opinions. :-) She zeroed in on
      the black cap, I zeroed in on the grey wingfeathers as it went by.

      California Quail - by voice alone near the front end, calling back and
      forth

      And, of course, the ones that got away without being ID'd. It was
      wonderful, with my fellow birder's hearing, to be able to track down some
      birds that I otherwise wouldn't have seen. She got a bit frustrated -
      some of the brush was swarming with unseen birds and she kept repeating
      the sounds to me - but those birds just would not appear.

      Here's the other question. Is it possible at all to have a bird that
      sounds like a chickadee but sings? What bird might that be? JG heard this
      bird and explained. I said I'd ask, so here it is...

      Thanks, JG! We saw some good ones today! -- did I leave anything off the
      list? Didn't have a pen with me.

      I'm shooting for Tucker in the morning, hoping it's actually open. If
      not, I'll try Irvine Lake or Irvine Reg Park.

      Sue Jorgenson
      East Anaheim CA

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!