8942Continuing birds, August 17

  • tombenson76
    Aug 17, 2014
      I spent this morning (Aug 17) birding a couple spots in Orange County in search of some continuing birds. I started at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, where I spent the first hour of my visit walking along San Diego Creek looking unsuccessfully for the male Yellow-crowned Bishop. I did manage to see several Northern Red (=Orange) Bishops and a Least Bittern. I returned to my car by Pond E and decided to do a quick scan of the pond an lo and behold there was the Yellow-crowned Bishop. There were also many Scaly-breasted Munias and a brief visit by a male Pin-tailed Whydah.

      Afterward I drove to Mile Square Park in search of the Bronze Mannikins that were previously reported there. I was able to find four foraging on the edge of the golf course opposite restroom #8 (between the Edinger entrance and the nature center), along with two Scaly-breasted Munias. I was unfortunately unable to find any Orange-cheeked Waxbills at either location. Given the invasive nature of these exotic species, and their potential impact on native species, continuing reports of their presence to this listserv are encouraged.

      Tom Benson
      San Bernardino, CA