8939San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, Friday evening

  • GBANI1978@...
    Aug 16, 2014
      A Friday evening (15 August) visit to San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (SJWS) proved rather uneventful, with fairly low numbers and diversity of shorebirds present. There was actually a decent concentration of shorebirds in the San Diego Creek channel (appeared to be primarily juvenile Western Sandpipers and dowitchers), adjacent to the drive in to SJWS from Campus Drive, although I'm not sure what the best way would be to check this area (due to the very narrow access road--and no turnouts and limited space for pedestrians). Running into Jeff Bray at SJWS I learned that a Bank Swallow was seen again (possibly the same bird as here on the 13th) with other swallows back in the area of pond C.

      At dusk a Least Bittern was heard calling from pond B, and running into Gary Meredith, earlier, he showed me a photo he'd taken of possibly a different Least Bittern in one of the outer ponds.

      Hanging around till after the sun went down, I was amazed by the density of bats foraging low over the water on pond C. A few foraging Black Skimmers could also be seen in the dim light (this species frequently forages at dusk and after dark).

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA