      DeeDee Gollwitzer
      Laguna Hills
      Sent from my iPad

      On Aug 13, 2014, at 5:31 PM, "'Willick, Doug' doug.willick@... [OrangeCountyBirding]" <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      That is very cool data, Trish (and impressively quick turnaround of the bird’s banding information). I did a Google Earth search for the Colville River Delta, on Alaska’s North Slope, and then measured an approximate route (in Google Earth) that the bird could conceivably have followed, coming down the Pacific coastline, from Alaska to Bolsa Chica. It came out to a distance of roughly 3,200 miles! Pretty amazing for a bird that’s supposed to be only about 4oz (about one fourth of a pound). Then there’s a few of our sandpipers that can breed in roughly this same area, and most of the these are listed at just under one ounce! Of course, many of these shorebirds (here at this present time) might just be making a stopover to refuel, and then be on their way to wintering sites even further south. Pretty amazing.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, CA

      From: OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Trish G trishrg62@... [OrangeCountyBirding]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:34 PM
      To: Orangecountybirding@yahoogroups.
      Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Bolsa Chica- No Yellow-crowned Night Heron or Cormorant

      I received a message regarding the banded Ruddy Turnstone I found on Saturday.
      See below- He also has a webpage www.goldenplover.org<http://www.goldenplover.org>
      Thought it was cool enough to share.
      Trish Gussler, Anaheim

      Hello Trish,

      Had a notice from the banding lab that you had turned in a sighting, thanks very much.
      I live on the North Slope of Alaska in the Colville River Delta and have been working with Ruddy Turnstones since 1983. My main interest in this banding project is migration routes and wintering areas. As it turns out for Ruddies that nest on the North slope they seem to like southern CA, northern Mexico. I have several returns not to far from your reporting location in Marina Del Ray, Ballona wetlands.

      H47 was banded here at our homestead on the 29th of May 2014. If you have a photo of the bird I would like to have one of it on the wintering grounds if you wouldn't mind sharing.

      Thanks again for taking the time to report the sighting.

      Cheers,
      Jim Helmericks

      [Image removed by sender.]

      On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Trish G <trishrg62@...<mailto:trishrg62@...>> wrote:
      Along the Wintersburg channel, there was no sign of the Pelagic Cormorant or YCNH anywhere this morning.
      I ran into other birders who also had not seen either bird.
      The most interesting thing I found was a color banded Ruddy Turnstone which I have submitted to the bird banding lab.
      Turnstone- https://flic.kr/p/oEaHYH
      I also had multiple California Gnatcatchers along the trail below the bluffs below the Brightwater trail, north of the pocket pond.
      When I say multiples, I mean more than 6. Calling and foraging in the brush and on the side of the hill.
      I have had these in the same area almost every time I've birded there since the Christmas bird count last year.
      Maybe they are breeding here now?
      There was also an apparently sick Brandt's Cormorant next to the bike trail along the end of the channel near PCH.

      In other news, I've had a female Hooded Oriole at my hummingbird feeder yesterday and today, a new yard bird.
      Oriole- https://flic.kr/p/oDU2ht

      Trish Gussler- Anaheim