8927RE: Ruff on Santa Ana River; It's there; Still one Cattle Egret at Mile Square Park

  • canyon53ss
    Aug 11, 2014

      Birded from Imperial Highway to about 3/4 of the way to Lakeview. I found the Ruff where I found it the first time; on a spit across from Vineyard Anaheim (a church I guess). The name is painted on the back of the building facing the river.

      Bird was with over 100 Dowitchers crowded together on a sandy spit and was NOT easy to find without a scope, but I finally located it. The spit they are on is better and easier seen from the north bank of the river.

      Directions to parking and finding bird:  From the intersection of the 91/55 freeways, go east on the 91. Exit Imperial. Turn left on Imperial (which goes over the river). Get in the leftmost of the two left turn lanes and turn left on La Palma. Prepare to turn left in 50 or so feet into a shopping center anchored by In and Out burgers. Once you turn in, go straight all the way back to the end of the parking lot next to Party! Party!. You will then be facing the river. You can either walk the north side, closest, or cross over the river by walking along the Imperial overcrossing (PortaPotty on the S. side). Walk downstream.

      While I didn't find anything else unusual in the Sandpiper department (everything seemed to be Least Sandpiper) I did find 3 Hooded Orioles (2F, 1M), 2 M Blue Grosbeak (both sang atop vegetation in the river), a M Lazuli Bunting, 1 Sora, 3 M Orange Bishops, Scaly-breasted Munia, 1 Sora, Wood Duck and Mandarin Duck, 2 Common Gallinule, including a sub-adult and adult. Like the last time, not one single raptor the entire trip... sad. Still a few Black Skimmers skimming.

      The rather mussy looking adult Cattle Egret, still showing some orangish through the dirty muss, on the island nearest Edinger and Euclid. I was not able to locate the second bird. Also at the island area were two juvenile White-faced Ibis,but I did not see any adults.

      Located the Broze Mannikins while I was @ Mile Square (thank you, Roger) between the enclosed nature area and the golf course near the closed roadway reading "overflow parking". The birds were associating with Lesser Goldfinch. I saw several groups of 6-8 birds. Among them was an Orange-cheeked Waxbill and a number of Scaly-breasted Munia.

      Happy birding,

      Sherry Meddick

      Silverado