7102Red-breasted Sapsucker at Fairhaven/SA Cemetery

  • naturegirlaol
    Mar 2, 2013
      We checked out the Fairhaven/Santa Ana Cemetery property Friday afternoon for the 1st time - what a lot of nice big trees of different kinds! We were watching at least 9 Flickers feeding on the ground and flying up into the trees in the eastern/central part of the property when we saw a Red-Breasted Sapsucker in one of the evergreens. We tried scanning the large oaks in the northeasterly corner and twice saw a rather indistinct gray bird in the treetops but could not with certainty turn either into a Cassin's Vireo. Also had some nice Western Bluebirds on the western side of the cemetery.

      Also, on Thursday afternoon, up Modjeska Canyon we saw a Golden Eagle and a pair of Kestrels.

      Joan & Brett Rubin
      Mission Viejo