6621Re: Santa Ana Cemetery Report

  • Doug
    Nov 1 9:49 PM
      Just some additional details to Brian's report in case anyone might be dropping by to look for the Black-throated Green Warbler and/or Indigo Bunting. There are actually three sections to this cemetery complex. The western half is known as Fairhaven Memorial Park, and most of the eastern half is the Santa Ana Cemetery (SAC). These areas can be accessed from Fairhaven Ave. on the north, or Santa Clara Ave. on the south. In the extreme northeastern part of this fairly large cemetery complex is a third section that is fenced off from the rest; this small, isolated section has one entrance, which is off Fairhaven on the north. Immediately south of this small, fenced-off section of cemetery is the "northeast corner of the SAC", where the warbler (today) and the bunting (yesterday) were seen. There is a group of 20-25 Chipping Sparrows frequenting this area, which yesterday also contained the Indigo Bunting. Today there were about four juncos with the Chippies, with one being a Slate-colored type. The Black-throated Green Warbler was foraging by itself for awhile in the live oaks (calling occasionally; this particular bird sounded much like a Townsend's Warbler). It later joined a roving group of Yellow-rumps, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Bushtits, and then became difficult to follow.

      Doug Willick
      Orange, Ca

      --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Daniels" <Bedafort900@...> wrote:
      > Birders,
      > Doug Willick asked that I get the word out on a Black-throated Green Warbler (either adult female or hatch-year male) that he just found in the Santa Ana Cemetery. Doug is there looking for an Indigo Bunting seen yesterday in the cemetery by Valerie Wheeler. He's not yet seen the bunting but says there are lots of sparrows and juncos to look through. These birds are all in the northeast corner of the cemetery. The warbler was/is in the oaks.
      > Good birding,
      > Brian Daniels,
      > Long Beach, Orange County
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic