5460Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] ... (including Ruff in Orange)

  • Steve Sosensky
    Oct 1, 2011
      Bruce Aird and I saw the juvenile Ruff on the Santa Ana River this
      morning (10/1). After finding none of the reported birds upstream of
      Lincoln, we went downstream and found the Ruff in the middle channel
      just past the second weir. This is about 400 yards from Lincoln
      Street. It's important to know the structure of Ruffs, as this bird
      had grayish-green legs, but it is small headed, buffy on the head and
      breast, and has a short decurved bill.

      Because the lighting was direct and the legs are not hidden by
      foliage, I posted a photo in the Shorebirds folder.

      At 09:29 PM 9/30/2011, Doug wrote:
      >At the Santa Ana River this evening, north of the Lincoln Street
      >crossing (in n.w. Orange), although there were noticeably fewer
      >shorebirds, the juvenile Ruff and Stilt Sandpiper were still
      >present. Both were about 150 to 200 yards upstream of the Lincoln
      >bridge (before the first small "drop structure"). There were two
      >Pectoral Sandpipers still here as well. A Rock Wren was again heard
      >calling from the rock rip-rap that lines the river in this same general area.

      Good Viewing,
      Steve Sosensky
      Vice President <mailto:Steve@...>

      http://www.Optics4Birding.com