      From: "Zopteryx" <zebrashark72@...>
      Sender: OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 04:35:37
      To: <OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Mason Regional Park & more

      (5/1/11) Highlight of birding Mason Regional Park was a "SOLITARY" TYPE VIREO (presumed Cassin's) in the riparine area adjacent to the enterance kiosk. In the same area was a male WESTERN TANAGER, a male YELLOW WARBLER, two HUTTON'S VIREOS, and SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.

      The best birds at the San Joaquin Wildife Sanctuary were several WARBLING VIREOS; seven SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS at Pond E; eight WHITE-FACED IBIS and a SORA at Pond D; a pair of WOOD DUCKS at Pond C; and at least fifty BLACK SKIMMERS, fifteen CASPIAN TERNS, and a BONAPARTE'S GULL at Pond 2. An OSPREY brought a fish to a younger individual on the platform in Pond 4.

      Searched for, but did not find, the Black-throated Sparrow on Saturday at the Dana Point Headlands. I did here a bird calling along the main trail that sounded similar to my target species, but it never came out of the brush. The only good bird on that trip was a PEREGRINE FALCON that flew over the main trail.

      Finally, I found two GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, two RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS, one WESTERN KINGBIRD, one CALIFORNIA GNATCATCHER, and a CACTUS WREN along a trail that runs the length of the hilltops that seperate Ladera Ranch from the adjacent golf course.

      Happy Birding,
      Zachary Perry
      Ladera Ranch