4656Pectoral Sandpiper

  • oc2888
    Sep 1, 2010
      This afternoon there was a Pectoral Sandpiper in San Joaquin Pond D. The sandpiper was in the reeds on the side facing Pond E. Also present in the pond several Virginia Rails, Sora and Semipalmated Sandpipers.

      I have made several visits to other locations in the last several days looking for the Pectoral Sandpiper, including the San Gabriel River. This morning while not finding the reported Pectoral Sandpiper or Indigo Bunting, I did encounter the Pin-tail Whydah in full plumage at 11AM in the first willow tree north of Whittier Boulevard along the river. Great place to photograph the bird. Note: easy access from the 605 and parking outside the Pio Pico State Historical Park. I mention this as several people have asked for a location for this bird. Also a great Orange Bishop location with several other exotics present.

      Richard Thunen
      Newport Beach
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic