4061Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Miscellanous miscellany - 11/18/09 (Loggerhead Shrike)

  • Elliotte Rusty Harold
    Dec 2, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM, jacksnipe1990 <wahooking@...> wrote:

      > I think the location described above has been a fairly reliable spot for
      > Loggerhead Shrike in the winter, it is just that since there is no public
      > access to the marsh area you describe, except from the dirt road along the
      > creek, it is rarely birded (except during the coastal CBC) and Logerhead
      > Shrikes seen there are rarely reported. Shrikes seem to like the willow
      > trees and snags along the ditches around the ponds and at the base of the
      > western edge of the basin where the land rises up to the commercial building
      > on the west/north end of the area.
      >
      > FWIW, I walked that path regularly last winter (at least once a week,
      often more) and I'm pretty sure I never saw a Loggerhead Shrike in there. I
      also regularly walked along the edge along Fairchild.

      I'm not sure which commercial buildings Robert is referring to-- the UCI
      ones near the Arboretum?--but it sounds like he had better views into the
      refuge than I did from the south side and from the path along the creek. If
      there were one or more shrikes in there, they weren't usually visible from
      the path you took.

      --
      Elliotte Rusty Harold
      elharo@...