4055Re: Miscellanous miscellany - 11/18/09 (Loggerhead Shrike)

  • jacksnipe1990
    Dec 1, 2009
      --- In OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com, "short_eared_owl12" <prairiemerlin@...> wrote:

      > Loggerhead Shrike - one in a rather atypical location: a large field in the UCI section of San Joaquin, viewed from the dirt path on the opposite side of the San Diego Creek from the bike trail.

      Neil and others,

      I think the location described above has been a fairly reliable spot for Loggerhead Shrike in the winter, it is just that since there is no public access to the marsh area you describe, except from the dirt road along the creek, it is rarely birded (except during the coastal CBC) and Logerhead Shrikes seen there are rarely reported. Shrikes seem to like the willow trees and snags along the ditches around the ponds and at the base of the western edge of the basin where the land rises up to the commercial building on the west/north end of the area.

      I work in the aforementioned building and on occasion can grab a peak at the birds in the marshland below. I did see a Loggerhead Shrike today (Dec. 01, 2009); and have noted them in the this area previously in Feb 2009; Jan 5, 2007; Feb 1, 2007 and during the coastal CBC in Dec 2006. I'm sure I have seen them more often but have not specifically noted the sightings.

      With the decline of this species in the county I will try to keep better notes as to my future sightings at this location.

      Good birding,

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic