OWB 9.2

  • Abid Khan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
      I am new to OWB and am trying to get up and running on it. My problem is that the documentation available from Oracle seems to be out of synch with the software I have installed although it states the same version no. For example the document states that you click on Databases node under Projects. I cant find any !!!

      Also it states that after completing flat file wizard, there is an option to attach an external table to it by "Right click on the External Tables node and select Create External Table. "
      Ditto for this. No external table node is visible.

      Do I have an incomplete install or what ? Has anybody experienced this problem also ? Any feedback would be extremely helpful.

      Thanks
      AKHAN
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      http://corp.mail.com/careers
    • Rick Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
        I'm new to Oracle Warehouse Builder. I am wondering if it would be
        suitable for the following task.

        A client of mine, a bio-informatics company, is in the business of
        aggregating, correlating, curating, and reselling genomic, proteonic,
        and interaction data. The company receives data from various
        public-source and proprietary databases, and using its own
        proprietary applications, imports the third-party data into its own
        database. The company adds value for its customers by simplifying
        their access to biological data. Instead of researching genes,
        proteins and interactions using 30 or so separate databases, the
        company's customers can use just one relational database for
        research.

        The company's product is essentially pure data. The amount of data is
        not large, perhaps a few hundred MB when exported to an Oracle dump
        file.

        The problem that the company faces is quality control. Essentially,
        they have to maintain not only their proprietary import applications
        under version control, but they also have to maintain their **data**
        under version control. For example, if a bug is discovered in some
        import application, they must be able to rollback to an earlier
        version of the data and reapply a fixed version of the application.
        Things can get complicated because of the large number of source
        databases (not all of which are relational -- even particularly
        rational) and the corresponding number of import applications.

        Until now, the bio-informatics company has relied on binary formats
        for creating checkpoints of their data. For example, they regularly
        backup their data and use Oracle Export to create snapshots. The
        problem is that binary formats are too coarse-grained for effective
        version control of the database. For example, sometimes only a few
        rows in one table might change as part of the data curation process.
        When that incremental change is archived by Oracle Export, it becomes
        quite opaque, which complicates quality control processes.

        I'm in the process of trying to improve the version control system
        for this company. I've proposed moving to text-based snapshots of the
        database, which would be stored in CVS and which could be easily
        diff'ed as part of a quality control program.

        I see that OWB allows one to target text files as output. But this
        isn't quite enough. Right now, the company's schema is evolving
        rapidly, as new sources are added and as customers request new
        features. The company needs an easy way to export all data
        (sequences, procedures, tables, views, etc) from a single schema
        without extensively reconfiguring some conversion process.

        So, in a nutshell, will OWB allow one to easily export the metadata
        and data from all objects in a single schema to a set of text-based
        files?

        Thanks in advance.

        - Rick Hall

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • dbconsultant2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
          Yes you can acheive this be speciying the "Target schema."
          where the data will get loaded.

          For additional info

          http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/2241331

          All the Best !

          Thanks

          -dbConsultant2003

          --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, Rick Hall

        • Rick Hall
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            Arnoud -

            Thanks for your suggestion. I was under the (apparently mistaken)
            impression that Workspace Manager allowed one to handle and
            **compare** multiple versions of metadata, not data.

            I'll double check the data comparison functionality of Oracle
            Workspace Manager and see if it lives up to the claims of this
            description.

            - Rick

            http://otn.oracle.com/products/workspace_mgr/htdocs/Workspace_Manager_Da

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705

            115386:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/au

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=560635249>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • cool_tenz
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
              Hi all,

              new to this group.some questions straight away.
              1. i have installed OWB 9i (9.2.0.2.0) . I see the EBI assistant
              greyed out always.i had this problem with 2.1 initailly but when i
              tried the second installation step, it went thru fine. any pointers
              to get back my EBI assistant?

              2.how much of an efficient code can be generated through OWB for the
              Extraction of data from source system.if anyone has done the same
              please respond.

              Thanks
              TEnny