Working with OWB

  • madhava reddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2004
      Hi all,
      I worked as an ETL developer using Informatica now i
      am trying to learn OWB,i know the entire ETL process
      buti dont know how to use OWB, so far i learned how to
      install and how to create the OWB repository,runtime
      repository,target schema and i have desinged the
      modules and Mappings but i am not able to understant
      the concept of Deployment and Execution,ie how to run
      the mapping that i have designed.what is the entire
      process to execute the mapping,can any one explain me?
      is any one of you guys have the documentation? i
      really appriciate if any one send to me.i hope for the
      answers form you all.

      Thanks in Advance.
      Madhav.

    • Eric Leroux
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2004
        Hi,

        First of all, it's important to know that OWB is a
        code generator instead of Informatica that is a
        complete ETL product. The knowledge of Oracle
        technology is a good thing when working with OWB.

        A mapping in OWB is in fact a PACKAGE in ORACLE.
        Deploying a mapping is the same as compiling a
        package. Executing the mapping is the same as
        Executing the Package. You can execute a mapping with
        another application, like TOAD by example.

        The thing you must understand is any thing you do with
        OWB, the result will be a ORACLE oriented. (function,
        package, sqlldr, ...)

        Different sources are accepted but the target must be
        ORACLE...

        You can refer to the online documentation at the
        ORACLE web site.

        Good luck

        --- madhava reddy <madhava_1117@...> a écrit
        : > Hi all,
        > I worked as an ETL developer using Informatica now i
        > am trying to learn OWB,i know the entire ETL process
        > buti dont know how to use OWB, so far i learned how
        > install and how to create the OWB repository,runtime
        > repository,target schema and i have desinged the
        > modules and Mappings but i am not able to understant
        > the concept of Deployment and Execution,ie how to
        > run
        > the mapping that i have designed.what is the entire
        > process to execute the mapping,can any one explain
        > me?
        > is any one of you guys have the documentation? i
        > really appriciate if any one send to me.i hope for
        > the
        > answers form you all.
        >
        > Thanks in Advance.
        > Madhav.

        > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.
        > http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony/

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
      • Rotimi Ademola
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2004
          OWB is a complete ETL tool allowing to extract data from various
          sources into Oracle and to slice,dice, clean and transform the data
          before loading it into an Oracle database. Mappings are the akin to
          Pl/Sql packages that contain logic for capturing data, implementing
          business rules on the data during transformation and loading them
          into into an Oracle schema. OWB automatically generates Pl/Sql code
          for you when you deploy your mappings to the database. These end up
          as packages with the name you give to the mappings. You can also
          select different preconfigured locations where you want to deploy to.
          OWB also provides a means of executing or running the mappings. Every
          mapping code/package has a main function that is called as soon as
          execute it. All the logic that is embedded in your mapping is then
          ran against a database that the location you are running to points.
          You can also execute the mappings yourself but you are not guaranteed
          to do it in a way that you can completely audit the steps in the
          mapping.
          You may also choose to use free hand sql if are completely sure of
          the steps you want to carry out in your ETL process. I have
          personally worked with both methods - executing mappings and using
          fres hand sql. And they both work. You may also organize and package
          a group of mappings together as process flows. Here you can control
          the flow of execution of the mapping and include alerts and branches
          depending on the outcome of the execution of one. I cannot
          exhaustively explain ETL using OWB here but pls check the link
          http://otn.oracle.com/documentation/warehouse.html for documentation
          from Oracle. I hope this helps.
          Cheers.