ANYONE used OWB9.2 to load flat files???

  • Fahd Saeed
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2004
      Hello Everyone.

      I got a grip load of flat files sitting on my hard disk. I have a target schema created, and have loaded OWB with the target location and all that jazz. Now when i'm drawing my map, I load the flat file wizard from the toolbox, BUT i only get the following two options

      * Create unbound mapping file with no attributes
      * Select from existing repository file and bind

      The following two options are not available

      *Create new repository file and bind
      *Import File into repository and bind

      My question is: How do I load these flat files into my OWB map? How do you load from flat files in OWB in general? Has anyone used flat files to load oracle DB using OWB? I have the option of using SQL*Loader, but wanted to give OWB a chance before leaving it for SQL*Loader. Any advice suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      Fahd Saeed

    • one oz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2004
        --- Fahd Saeed <fsaeed@...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone.
        >
        > I got a grip load of flat files sitting on my hard
        > disk. I have a target
        > schema created, and have loaded OWB with the target
        > location and all that
        > jazz. Now when i'm drawing my map, I load the flat
        > file wizard from the
        > toolbox, BUT i only get the following two options
        >
        > * Create unbound mapping file with no attributes
        > * Select from existing repository file and bind
        >
        > The following two options are not available
        >
        > *Create new repository file and bind
        > *Import File into repository and bind
        >
        > My question is: How do I load these flat files into
        > my OWB map? How do you
        > load from flat files in OWB in general? Has anyone
        > used flat files to load
        > oracle DB using OWB? I have the option of using
        > SQL*Loader, but wanted to
        > give OWB a chance before leaving it for SQL*Loader.
        > Any advice suggestion
        > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Regards,
        > Fahd Saeed

        Fahd,

        I have used owb to load flat files via sql*loader
        scripts generated by owb. also, consider using
        external files instead. there are lots of advantages
        to this method. it does require a v9 target database.
        as far as the problems you are having, i would
        recommend checking the documentation for the steps to
        perform this operation.

        Mark Sandler

      • kamal kamal
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
          hey fahd

                        i have used flat files as inputs to OWB and the version i am using is 9.0.2. if u have specified the correct location and connector for that location u should at every instant get prompts that classify ur flat files like whether it was fixed width or delimited and the field names for colums and stuff.

          the OWB creates SQL*loader scripts to upload data into oracle froma  flatfile..

          i can send u the necessary documentation if u want..just lemme know
          bye
          kamal

          one oz <ozone3749@...> wrote:
          --- Fahd Saeed <fsaeed@...> wrote:
          > Hello Everyone.
          >
          > I got a grip load of flat files sitting on my hard
          > disk. I have a target
          > schema created, and have loaded OWB with the target
          > location and all that
          > jazz. Now when i'm drawing my map, I load the flat
          > file wizard from the
          > toolbox, BUT i only get the following two options
          >
          > * Create unbound mapping file with no attributes
          > * Select from existing repository file and bind
          >
          > The following two options are not available
          >
          > *Create new repository file and bind
          > *Import File into repository and bind
          >
          > My question is: How do I load these flat files into
          > my OWB map? How do you
          > load from flat files in OWB in general? Has anyone
          > used flat files to load
          > oracle DB using OWB? I have the option of using
          > SQL*Loader, but wanted to
          > give OWB a chance before leaving it for SQL*Loader.
          > Any advice suggestion
          > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
          >

          > Regards,
          > Fahd Saeed

          Fahd,

          I have used owb to load flat files via sql*loader
          scripts generated by owb.  also, consider using
          external files instead.  there are lots of advantages
          to this method. it does require a v9 target database.
          as far as the problems you are having, i would
          recommend checking the documentation for the steps to
          perform this operation.

          Mark Sandler

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Fahd Saeed
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2004
            kamal,

            yeah if you could send me some documentation on it that would be great. I used sqlldr on my own and created control files and all to load the data from flat files. The problem with owb was that I didnt know how to drop a flat file on a map??

            one oz <ozone3749@...> wrote:
            --- Fahd Saeed <fsaeed@...> wrote:
            > Hello Everyone.
            >
            > I got a grip load of flat files sitting on my hard
            > disk. I have a target
            > schema created, and have loaded OWB with the target
            > location and all that
            > jazz. Now when i'm drawing my map, I load the flat
            > file wizard from the
            > toolbox, BUT i only get the following two options
            >
            > * Create unbound mapping file with no attributes
            > * Select from existing repository file and bind
            >
            > The following two options are not available
            >
            > *Create new repository file and bind
            > *Import File into repository and bind
            >
            > My question is: How do I load these flat files into
            > my OWB map? How do you
            > load from flat files in OWB in general? Has anyone
            > used flat files to load
            > oracle DB using OWB? I have the option of using
            > SQL*Loader, but wanted to
            > give OWB a chance before leaving it for SQL*Loader.
            > Any advice suggestion
            > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
            >

            > Regards,
            > Fahd Saeed

            Fahd,

            I have used owb to load flat files via sql*loader
            scripts generated by owb.  also, consider using
            external files instead.  there are lots of advantages
            to this method. it does require a v9 target database.
            as far as the problems you are having, i would
            recommend checking the documentation for the steps to
            perform this operation.

            Mark Sandler

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • cool dude
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2004
              fahd

                    in the mapping editor menu, we have an option of dragging the flat file. just click on the sequential file button and drag it onto the mappping editor. and it would ask for the necessar path for that fiel which u had already brought in..

              if this doesnt help
              i will send u something
              bye
              kamal

              one oz <ozone3749@...> wrote:
              --- Fahd Saeed <fsaeed@...> wrote:
              > Hello Everyone.
              >
              > I got a grip load of flat files sitting on my hard
              > disk. I have a target
              > schema created, and have loaded OWB with the target
              > location and all that
              > jazz. Now when i'm drawing my map, I load the flat
              > file wizard from the
              > toolbox, BUT i only get the following two options
              >
              > * Create unbound mapping file with no attributes
              > * Select from existing repository file and bind
              >
              > The following two options are not available
              >
              > *Create new repository file and bind
              > *Import File into repository and bind
              >
              > My question is: How do I load these flat files into
              > my OWB map? How do you
              > load from flat files in OWB in general? Has anyone
              > used flat files to load
              > oracle DB using OWB? I have the option of using
              > SQL*Loader, but wanted to
              > give OWB a chance before leaving it for SQL*Loader.
              > Any advice suggestion
              > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
              >

              > Regards,
              > Fahd Saeed

              Fahd,

              I have used owb to load flat files via sql*loader
              scripts generated by owb.  also, consider using
              external files instead.  there are lots of advantages
              to this method. it does require a v9 target database.
              as far as the problems you are having, i would
              recommend checking the documentation for the steps to
              perform this operation.

              Mark Sandler

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • khaleel43
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2004
                Hi Fahd,

                I have done some data loading from flat files to Oracle tables using
                OWB maps. Still if u face problems, pls do get back to me with more
                details.

                Best Rgds
                khaleel

                --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, one oz