Re: Join Problem

  • dieleichtemuh
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
      No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should use
      like instead of = ??
      thx
      --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
      >
      > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
      > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
      > > Hi
      > > I use the following join operation
      > >
      > > CASE WHEN COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO =
      > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO
      > > THEN
      > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
      > > ELSE
      > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
      > > END
      > >
      > > and receive the error
      > > Line 6, Col 5:
      > > PL/SQL: ORA-00920: invalid relational operator
      > > can u help please
    • dfp1294
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi, Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I am
        thinking the problem may be in the operator. I am just beginning to
        learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try. IT seems
        that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
        same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to compare
        the values using the equal symbol. Perhaps try the testing your SQL
        outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works. Using LIKE
        instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.

        <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
        > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should use
        > like instead of = ??
        > thx
        > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
        > >
        > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
        > > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
        > > > Hi
        > > > I use the following join operation
        > > >
        > > > CASE WHEN COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO =
        > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO
        > > > THEN
        > > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
        > > > ELSE
        > > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
        > > > END
        > > >
        > > > and receive the error
        > > > Line 6, Col 5:
        > > > PL/SQL: ORA-00920: invalid relational operator
        > > > can u help please
      • dieleichtemuh
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
          Thank's a lot

          I'am new too but OWB is a funny thing :-)

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I
          am
          > thinking the problem may be in the operator. I am just beginning
          > learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try. IT seems
          > that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
          > same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to
          compare
          > the values using the equal symbol. Perhaps try the testing your
          SQL
          > outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works. Using LIKE
          > instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.
          >
          > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
          > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
          > > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should
          use
          > > like instead of = ??
          > > thx
          > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
          > > >
          > > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"

          > > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO

        • kamal kamal
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
            hi

                   we cannot join a flat file and a table in OWB directly.if you were to do that you should have an external table referencing the flat file and then join.becoz when you use a flat file OWB generates SQL*LDR scripts and when we use tables it uses PL/SQL and they cannot be merged in one map..

            hope this helps
            thanks
            kamal

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hi,  Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I
            am
            > thinking the problem may be in the operator.  I am just beginning
            > learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try.  IT seems
            > that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
            > same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to
            compare
            > the values using the equal symbol.  Perhaps try the testing your
            SQL
            > outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works.  Using LIKE
            > instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.
            >
            > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
            > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
            > > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should
            use
            > > like instead of = ??
            > > thx
            > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
            > > >
            > > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"

            > > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • ROTIMI ADEMOLA
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
              Hi,
              Why do want to do the following?
              If I get you right, you want to assign the
              COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO based on a condition. A correct way
              to do it OWB is to use an expression operator. You will
              have to create a variable that will hold the
              COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO. Then you can write you case
              statement and then assign as appropriate. I hope this
              helps.

              Cheers.

              =====
              Rotimi Ademola
              EDW Application Developer,
              MTN Nigeria Communications Limited,
              1st Floor, UBA Trustees Building
              22B Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island,
              Lagos Nigeria.
              Tel: 2348032004637

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail