Re: Join Problem

  • dfp1294
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31 3:34 PM
      Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?

      --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
      <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
      > Hi
      > I use the following join operation
      >
      > CASE WHEN COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO =
      COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO
      > THEN
      > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
      > ELSE
      > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
      > END
      >
      > and receive the error
      > Line 6, Col 5:
      > PL/SQL: ORA-00920: invalid relational operator
      > can u help please
    • dieleichtemuh
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
        No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should use
        like instead of = ??
        thx
        --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
        >
        > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
        > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
        > > Hi
        > > I use the following join operation
        > >
        > > CASE WHEN COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO =
        > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO
        > > THEN
        > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
        > > ELSE
        > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
        > > END
        > >
        > > and receive the error
        > > Line 6, Col 5:
        > > PL/SQL: ORA-00920: invalid relational operator
        > > can u help please
      • dfp1294
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hi, Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I am
          thinking the problem may be in the operator. I am just beginning to
          learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try. IT seems
          that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
          same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to compare
          the values using the equal symbol. Perhaps try the testing your SQL
          outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works. Using LIKE
          instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.

          <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
          > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should use
          > like instead of = ??
          > thx
          > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
          > >
          > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
          > > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
          > > > Hi
          > > > I use the following join operation
          > > >
          > > > CASE WHEN COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO =
          > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO
          > > > THEN
          > > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
          > > > ELSE
          > > > COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO
          > > > END
          > > >
          > > > and receive the error
          > > > Line 6, Col 5:
          > > > PL/SQL: ORA-00920: invalid relational operator
          > > > can u help please
        • dieleichtemuh
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
            Thank's a lot

            I'am new too but OWB is a funny thing :-)

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I
            am
            > thinking the problem may be in the operator. I am just beginning
            > learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try. IT seems
            > that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
            > same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to
            compare
            > the values using the equal symbol. Perhaps try the testing your
            SQL
            > outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works. Using LIKE
            > instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.
            >
            > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
            > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
            > > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should
            use
            > > like instead of = ??
            > > thx
            > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
            > > >
            > > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"

            > > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO

          • kamal kamal
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
              hi

                     we cannot join a flat file and a table in OWB directly.if you were to do that you should have an external table referencing the flat file and then join.becoz when you use a flat file OWB generates SQL*LDR scripts and when we use tables it uses PL/SQL and they cannot be merged in one map..

              hope this helps
              thanks
              kamal

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,  Since you are getting an invalid relational operator error, I
              am
              > thinking the problem may be in the operator.  I am just beginning
              > learn OWB, so only have ideas that you might could try.  IT seems
              > that you may either have a compatiblitiy issue (are the columns the
              > same type and does the data match) or the SQL may not able to
              compare
              > the values using the equal symbol.  Perhaps try the testing your
              SQL
              > outside of OWB and make sure the case statement works.  Using LIKE
              > instead of = could be one reason for having the problem.
              >
              > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"
              > <andreas.dernbauer@c...> wrote:
              > > No the query is exactly what you see. Do you mean that I should
              use
              > > like instead of = ??
              > > thx
              > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, dfp1294
              > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > > Have you tried using the keyword LIKE instead of the = sign?
              > > >
              > > > --- In OracleWarehouseBuilder@yahoogroups.com, "dieleichtemuh"

              > > > COUNTRIES_STG.ISO_COU_ALPHA_TWO

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • ROTIMI ADEMOLA
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
                Hi,
                Why do want to do the following?
                If I get you right, you want to assign the
                COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO based on a condition. A correct way
                to do it OWB is to use an expression operator. You will
                have to create a variable that will hold the
                COUNTRYIES_STG.CTRY_ISO. Then you can write you case
                statement and then assign as appropriate. I hope this
                helps.

                Cheers.

                =====
                Rotimi Ademola
                EDW Application Developer,
                MTN Nigeria Communications Limited,
                1st Floor, UBA Trustees Building
                22B Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island,
                Lagos Nigeria.
                Tel: 2348032004637

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail