Immigration from Oppau/Edigheim in the Rheinpfalz to Ohio

  • Jim Scharf
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 2:42 PM
      I have some leads on my family’s origin in the Oppau/Edigheim area of the Rheinpfalz (then Rheinbayern, part of Bavaria). These towns were near Mannheim/Ludwigshafen, and later were incorporated into the city of Ludwigshafen.

      My family name is Scharf, and verifiable ancestors are Wilhelm (William) and Heinrich (Henry). The immigrated through Pennsylvania and settled in Pomeroy, Meigs Co., OH in the 1850’s. I believe some other families from the Oppau/Edigheim area also settled in Pomeroy, and I’m looking for any information about them. One of the family names may have been Gonder, and another Jung (Young). I’ve gotten a little history on this area, and am trying to make sense of it with regard to immigration to America.

      Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Jim Scharf

      Sent via the WebMail system at mail.firstva.com