Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Schoenau Genealogy-Part 5

Expand Messages
  • meinhartstock
    Schoenau Genealogy - http://buerger.metropolis.de/schoenau-genealogy/ translated by Marbeth Knoff Revised version of the little Book of Friedrich Bossert
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      Schoenau Genealogy - http://buerger.metropolis.de/schoenau-genealogy/
      translated by Marbeth Knoff

      Revised version of the little Book of Friedrich Bossert (Schonau 1950)
      From the History of the Town of Schonau by Heidelberg

      III. History of Schonau (abt. 1800 to 1950)

      The Elector Karl Theodor died in 1799 after 59 years of government.
      His Successor Max Josef abandoned in 1802 that Palatinate right of
      the Rhine, that was merged with Baden and under that government of
      the Elector, later came Grand Duke Karl Friedrich. That Evangelical
      population, that had existed about 100 years long under severe
      stress, breathed much easier. Pastor Centurier, Great-Grandson of
      some Huguenots, was born in 1750 in Durrmenz by Pforzheim,
      experienced that Napoleon's War in Schonau, that period of the lowest
      humiliation and liberation of the German lands. At the Union, that
      is to say at the uniting of the Reformed and the Lutheran Churches he
      had worked with great fervor. he had combined both those communities
      in Schonau and rendered himself around that establishment of the
      Union in Baden in 1821 an outstanding service.

      Here, in this case is the place, to relate quite a few things about
      that Lutheran community in Schonau, that had built a small church
      themselves in 1765 and now was a branch of the Heddesbach Parish.
      That Lutheran's Church Book began in 1768. The Pastor in Heddesbach
      was N. Biton, since 1772 in Hachtel.

      Lutheran community members were: Those Clothmakers Hering, Fischer,
      Edelmann, Wurtele, Kuhn, Thomas (Church Chairman of the Parish
      Council), Schubach from Alsfeld (Hessen), Black from Biedenkopf
      (Hessen), Schafer from Falkengesass, Linen Weaver Hofmann, those day
      labourers Arold, Kilian and Kober, Nail Blacksmiths Arold, Raper,
      Miller Adam Bernauer (Chairman of the Church Council and in 1812 Lord
      Mayor), Miller Edelmann, those Baker's Henninger, Nollert and
      Ruffler, those Butchers Heidenreich (Lambs Inn) and Greulich (Eagle
      Inn) of the Lion Inn of Bernauer, those Shoemakers Lauer and Legron,
      those Coopers Steigleder and Wilhelm, those Coach builders Hopfinger
      from Unteroweisheim and Ebert, Wood Turner Ziegler, Master Carpenter
      Ebert, the Farmer Ebert on the Lindenbach's Estate, the Papermaker
      Lindauer from (Altgrun, Bohmen) Asch in Austria. Lutheran
      Schoolmaster was at first Friedrich Schollkopf, then Georg
      Willebucher. In 1815 the widowed Butcher Heidenreich married with
      Luise von Degenfeld on the Eulenhof by Sinsheim. In 1814 was known
      Lorenz Muhlstatter, Customs Guardsman, and Baptist Kefer, Country
      Surgeon. In 1816 was for the first time made mention of Johann
      Kramer, Soap Boiler.
      In the Death Registry was found a few remarkable entries: In
      1771. "Johann Philipp Kumpf, Citizen and Master Clothmaker, like
      also one who tends to gloss things over in Beerfelden, died on the
      1st of January,1771 adn was buried publicly on the 2nd, 59 years and
      2 months old. Please note: At first Kumpf announced that he wanted
      to journey from Beerfelden to Heidelberg, in order to buy in said
      place ink. But he was affected by the Colic on the way, and could
      not go any further, like at Schonau, where he laid in the bed by
      Daniel Kuhn and after a four day painful illness was after various
      blessings in that trust of the Lord". (In 1776). "The Andreas
      Eberts' Master Carpenter in Schonau youngest son died a violent
      death; he had wanted to go with a wagon of wood to Hauss, but had
      that misfortune, that, as he went next to the Oxen before the wagon,
      due to the then Black ice slipped, felldown, and was overcome by the
      front wheel and was crushed dreadfully. There was on the 21st of
      January of this year buried in the earth accompanied by a large
      entourage. His age was 14. (In 1777). "Katharina Barbara
      Barnauer's one child of good expectations had the misfortune, that
      she through a fall by the Mill into the water lost her life on the
      28th of March and was buried on the 30th into the earth after the
      then Easter ceremonies. Her age was 1 year 2 months 19 days" (In
      1789) "Johann Conrad Wilhelm Werner born from that of Anspach, his
      professin was a Glasscutter and at the same time Guild Master of the
      Clothcutters, came back from his journey, laid down sick in Schnonau,
      and died on the 29th of July of a chest sickness. His age was 61
      years 7 months and a number of days". "On the 5th of July, 1795 was
      drown the Tailor Friederich Runz's three year old little daughter in
      the brook". "On the 5th of May, 1818 was drown the Shoemaker Peter
      Lauer's 2 year old little son in the Mill ditch". On the edge of the
      [Death Registry] next to the birth entry of David Lauer born on the
      3rd of October, 1818, son of the Shoemaker Peter Lauer, was
      noted: "died on the 23rd of February, 1841 as a migrant Baker
      Journeyman in Komorn in te Kingdom of Hungary."

      Already since July 1817 the Reformed Pastor Centurier had been in
      charge of the Lutheran Church Book and managed that Lutheran
      Community. That Reformation-Jubilee in 1817 had firmly prepared the
      way for the Union. Already in 1820 Centurier had confirmed those
      Reformed and Lutheran Confirmations jointly. His pride and his
      delight about that final success of the Union in the year 1821 one
      marked by the notes, that he had filled there that entire last page
      of the Birth Registry: "Here ended itself that Church minutes of the
      Evangelical Lutheran community in Schonau both for the new births, as
      well for those deaths and baptisms, since, then those Evangelical
      Reformed and those Evangelical Lutherans were combined, both
      promiscuous [characterized by or involving indiscriminate mingling or
      association] by birth and baptisms, marriages and death cases in that
      Evangelical Protestant Church Book, consisted of 3 parts, as the
      Baptism Book, The Marriage Book and the Death Book, were registered,
      and now was recognized not any two but only one Evangelical
      Protestant Community. Schonau, was then on the 28th of October in
      1821 as the Combination-Celebration of both former communities!"
      On the Church Board of Directors in the year 1808 belonged: Johann
      Scheid, Village Mayor, Michael Herion, Daniel Kuhn, Martin Waldner.
      In 1809 stepped later into that place both Ludwig Kinzinger and
      Philipp Kohlweiler. For the initiation of the Union in 1821 the
      Church Board of Directors was increased by 3 rom the Lutheran's
      Community Select Representatives: Georg Bohringer, Forester; Peter
      Lauer, Shoemaker; Justus Black, Clothmaker.

      How much that Union had gained ground already on its establishment in
      the hearts, one could obtain from that in the Church Community
      Councils' Minutes Book Report about that Ceremony of the Reformation-
      Jubilee in 1817 was seen: "Within the 31st of October, 1817 that
      Third Secular-Celebration of the Reformation was celebrated here, and
      Col. II, Verse 7 was spoken about by the Village Pastor J. Centurier
      an effective Sermon . . . . About 8:30 in the morning the Evangelical
      Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran Church Board of Directors went
      together to the second Evangelical Sermon, then said by the Village
      Pastor and the Ordained Ministry Candidate Karl Kilian, and those
      youth of the two former Evangelical communities, also those first-
      rate community members, under music and shots of the guns of the
      Church: On both sides of the procession stood 54 Evangelical and
      Catholic young people ready and formed the same from no doubt certain
      times, in order to make that Celebration so much more solemn. Those
      Soldiers on leave had on their uniforms and ready to accompany the
      Pastor, and the Church Board of Directors and fired their guns on the
      entry into the Church. In the Afternoon about 2 o'clock occurred
      that undertaken actions, and those Evangelical Reformed accompanied
      those Evangelical Lutherans to the Church, into that Evangelical
      Reformed Church, together were preached a Serman by the Mr. Karl
      Kilian. Those hearts of both communities were moved deeply on
      hearing the Sermons and to the relief of the improvement of the

      One picture of that obligation at the beginning of the Nineteenth
      Century gave the following notice in the Church Book: "Sunday, the
      29th of March, 1818 the Pastor had exhorted for the third time those
      parents publicly and strongly, to send their children diligently to
      school, and on the 11th of April he had made over that Directory of
      the School absences to former Lord Mayor's Office himself".

      At the end of the Twentieth year the Paper manufacturer Adam Bernauer
      was Lord Mayor. Peter Kuhn was Town Servant. As Teachers worked
      Simon and Peter Herion together with the School Manager Andreas
      Zeigler. As a Church Manager was known the Miller and Master Baker
      Daniel Scheid and the Clothmaker and Landlord of the "Eagle" Barthel
      Gerbert. Valentin Spiess was Customs Guardsman. The "Ochsen [Oxen]
      Georg Heidenreich had, that "Lamm" [Lamb] Jakob Kuhn, the "Lowen"
      [Lion] Karl Hofmann. Those Clothmakers predominated by far. Also
      those Shoemakers were very numerous. Adam Lipponer, Bartholomew
      Rabe, Daniel Winnewisser were known as Carpenters; Nickolaus Arold,
      Nikolaus Staub, David Rabe, Lorenx Holzer were Nail Blacksmiths;
      Kaspar Wolf and Johann Frich as Potters; Johann Kramer as a Soap
      boiler; Valentin Legronne as a Merchant; Peter Winnewisser, Nikolaus
      Sattler, Heinrich Winnewisser, Peter Ebert, Adam Scheid, Matthias
      Kern as Farmers. On the Michelbuch's Estate sat Jakob Hauck, Jakob
      Heuss and Michael Heuss, on the Hasselbach's Estate was Matthias
      Lipponer and Nikolaus Breitenstein, on the Lindenbach's Estate Jakob
      Kern and Valentin Kern.

      From the May of 1829 Pastor Centurier was to not do services
      anymore. That Parish was administered by Vikar Leitz until 1834.
      That number of births in 1829 amounted to: 51, in 1830: 42, in 1831:
      60, in 1832: 48, in 1833: 66, in 1834: 67, Deaths in 1829 were: 20,
      in 1830: 22, in 1831: 22, in 1832: 53, in 1833: 42 in 1834: 42. The
      name Elfner appeared for the first time in these years. In the year
      1830 Daniel Scheid was Lord Mayor. As a Town Clerk Wilhelm Frei was
      known, as an Advisor and an Orphan Judge the Baker Jakob Scheid.
      Next to his office the Gendarme Baier was at work the Customs
      Guardsman Richter, there at the same time was "The Guide for the
      Topographical Land Improvement". As a Surgeon worked Valentin Glinz
      and Valentin Kraft, as a Dortor of the Medical Corp Lange. Those
      Midwifeswere called Rabe and Kuhn. Michelbuch had a Crosier holder
      named Kling and two Teachers: Ludwig Herion and Simon Herion. The
      Fulling Miller Matthias Lieboner and the Nail Blacksmith Daniel
      Lieboner had undersigned with one another one's minutes, where the
      one Lieboner read and the other Lieboner wrote.

      During the Official time of the Pastor Jakob Heinrich Burch in
      Schonau (1834-1840) that number of births climbed from 60 to 71, that
      of the baptisms varied between 7 and 24, that of the death cases
      between 38 and 52. The Church's Forester Stockman stood at the side
      of the Forest Custodian Reichert. Lord Mayor was the Clothmaker
      Jakob Kohlweiler. The son of the earlier Lord Mayor Bernauer was the
      Paper Manufacturer. Community Accuntant was the Master Bricklayer
      Schrotz. As a member of the Church Community Council was known:
      Bartholomew Gerbert, Landlord of the "Weissen Ross" [Whie Steed],
      there also mentioned of the Community Council, on top of that Cloth
      Bleacher Peter Lauer and Miller Edelmann. Names,m that today are
      found no more in Schonau: Master Turner Held, Master Carpenter Held,
      Clothmakers Munster, Rauth, Rusch, Shoemaker Zonzios, Day labourer
      Bourie, Nail Blacksmith Raule, Hammer Blacksmith Hartmann, Mill
      Doctor (Master Carpenter) Wendel.

      In 1835 was found itself for the first time near Shoemaker Nikolaus
      Lauer the addition "within the limitations of a garden". That Iron
      Hammer work near Schonau was mentioned for the first time in the
      death entry of Georg Heinrich Raith, Charcoal Burner of Finstetroth
      near Weinsberg.
      In the place of that Pastor Burch's move to Handschuhsheim stepped in
      1840 Pastor Sauder, died there already in 1844 adn was buried at the
      St. Annefriedhof in Heidelberg.

      At the beginning of the Fortieth that number of births was much
      greater than today: 67, 54, 78, 68. Also those deaths were more
      numerous: 42 (among them 21 children), 47 (among them 30 children),
      64 (among them 28 children), 58 (among them 23 children).

      The Village Mayor at the beginning of the Fortieth year was the Baker
      Daniel Scheid. Council Clerks were Johann David Konig form Waibstadt
      and Ludwig Thomas; Community Accountant the Soap Boiler Christoph
      Kramer; District Notary Public was Anton Funke, then Karl Franz
      Weitzel. The Catholic Father was named Anton Mund. As a Official
      Surgeon and Doctor in active practice was Alois Renner. As Community
      Councillors were known: Landlord of the "Lamb" Kuhn, Johann Simon,
      Ludwig Thomas, Coachbuilder Hopfinger, as Church Community
      Councillors: Barth, Gerbert (of the "Ross" [Steed]), Peter Simon,
      Peter Lauer, Miller Edelmann. Next the Church Forester Stockmar was
      given to the Grand Duke's Forester Wippermann. At the side of him
      stood the person of high standing Forest Assistant Metzler, that
      Forest Supervisor Schubert in Michelbuch, the person of high standing
      Forest Custodian Linen Weaver Schmitt, the Forest Guardsman Staub,
      and the Forest Custodian in the Church Woodlands Kuhn.

      In 1840 died the Grave digger Johann Jakob Kinzinger, that his son
      Philipp followed him in service. Franz Kuhn was Gendarme, Martin
      Zimmermann Gendarme Station Commander. As well Michael Bernauer's
      Paper Manufacturing was given to then Jakob Georg Bernauer, Miller in
      Schafbach. That Inn "To the Golden Lion" the Beer Brewer had after
      the death of his mother and after his death in 1842 his brother-in-
      law, the Master Tanner Konrad Balde from Eberbach. At that time
      Industry was being thought about. To the Bernauer's Paper Factory
      was joined that Ironwork, its named owner Georg Wilheom Reubold
      (citizen of Michelstadt) and that an impressive number of Hammer
      Blacksmiths were employed: Hartmann, Dell, KIunz, Koch, Menges. In
      addition to that existed that Cloth Factory of the Kolligs with the
      Master Spinner Herion and the Foreman Krieg. Most numerous of all
      Craftsmen were those Clothmakers. While those Cloth Cutters and
      those tending to gloss things over remained at the earlier status,
      those cloth bleachers continued to increase: Heinzerling, Rabe, Kuhn,
      Lipponer, Lauer. As well those Linen Weavers: Ebert, Wolf,
      Rehberger, Schmitt, Heid. Jakob Legron was the Stocking Weaver.
      Very strongly those Shoemakers were represented: Simon, Lauer,
      Sattler, Feuerstein, Kuhn, Lipponer, Legron, Rabe, Eliner,
      Schmitt, Zonzius. There was also now considerably more Tailors:
      Heuss, Schneider, Glinz, Kramer. Those Nail Blacksmiths flourished:
      Schumm, Kern, Glinz, Rabe, Kinzinger, Arold, Kuhn, Lipponer, Holzer,
      Kastin, Staub, Reinhardt. Those Bricklayers had increased strongly:
      Gartner, Rossnagel, Glinz, Reibold, Gaukel, Plitt. In addition was
      accounted for Carpenters Nollert and Kinzinger, for which also there
      was those Mill Doctors Wendel and Hor. There was a Beer Brewer
      Thomas, a Roof Tiler Kinzinger, a Soap Boiler Kramer and a Grocer
      Legron. Those Coopers were maintained at a peak: Ebert and
      Steigleder. Those Joiners [one who constructs doors, windows, and
      other fittings of houses] were in existence still not in such numbers
      as today. Known were Daniel Winnewisser and Jakob Lipponer.
      Compared to that the Coach Builders were much more numerous then
      today: Lipponer, Hopfinger, Kern. Karl Held was Turner [one who
      fashions objects on a lathe]. For Michael Wurtele and Friedrich Held
      was determined as Merchants for a profession. That job
      Title "Ackermann" included citizens Scheid, Kilian, Heuss,
      Winnewisser, Ebert, Kern, Sattler, Wilhelm. There was also a
      considerable number of Farmers. For that were those Estate Farmers:
      Kern of the Lindenbach's Estate, Breidenstein on the Hasselbach's
      Estate, Heuss and Kern on the Michelbuch. Further were known a
      number of Day Laborers: Gerbert, Kilian, Ebert, Kober, Winnewisser,
      Kern, Gartner, Herion, Kuhn, Heuss, Rauth, Glinz, Reichert,
      Rothmund, Konig, Kettler, Jekel. Coach people were Georg Scheid and
      Jakob Winnewisser. Then, to help step into the big wide world, those
      Midwife's Simon and Feuerstein. When one left this world, the Head
      Official Surgeon Alois Renner had to certify it as the Coroner of the

      In 1844 the Master Baker Beurath by birth from Obergroningen
      (Wurttenberg), married with the widow of the Master Baker Kern, a
      daughter of the Master Coach Builder Hopfinger. In 1845-53
      administered in Schonau the Pastor Karl Wilhelm Ernst. He
      experienced those stormy Revoluntionary Years of 1848/49 with the
      Schonau Community, in which the Teacher Hofer appeared in Altneudorf
      as a Guerrilla Leader, that was revealed in Mannheim by order of a
      Court Martial. That German Catholic Movement, that came up at times,
      struck all in waves also in Schonau. The Day Laborer Jakob Rabe, was
      referred to as a German Catholic, was married in 1850 in the
      Evangelical Church by Pastor Ernst.

      From the Marriage Book was still put in the following entries: In
      1850 Hugo Kolligs, Merchant was married in Frankfurt. In 1845 Brick
      House Merchant Friedrich Scheid was married to Marie Reinhardt from
      the Convent Mill. In 1847 Jakob Greulich, Cooper- and Master Beer
      Brewer, son of the Master Beer Brewer and "Eagle" Landlord Jakob
      Greulich. In 1847 Johann Daniel Scheid in Heiligkreuzsteinach, Beer
      Brewer and Landlard of the "Roten Ochsen" [Red Oxen], son of the
      Baker and Church Manager Daniel Scheid. In 1849 Philipp Gottlieb
      Bannsbach, Teacher Assistant in Eppelheim, with the daughter of the
      Head Teacher Peter Herion. In 1849 Jakob Bernauer in Eberbach,
      Teacher Assistant in Wiesbach, with the daughter of the Miller
      Edelmann. In 1850 Johann Adam Mannschott, Master Bottlemaker, with
      Luise Kubler from Gochsheim.
      As a Successor of Pastor Ernst in 1863 Pastor Johann Valentin
      Hottinger came to Schonau, remained there until 1857. On the
      Community Council sat Merchant Friedrich Scheid adn Turner Karl
      Held. As a Boy's Teacher worked Peter Herion and as a Girl's Teacher
      Christoph Billing, as an Elementary School Teacher Philipp Georg
      Bannspach. Council Clerk was the retired Head Teacher Zimmerman of
      Grotzingen. As a Notary Public was registered Theodor Tretzer and in
      1855 Jakob Kilian. On the Lindenbach's Estate was at times set up a
      Recovery Sanatorium, from which was to arise by Weinheim that Pilgrim

      One remaining outstanding service was rendered by Pastor Hottinger
      through that founding of the Nursery School, that has existed since
      May 14th, 1854. In addition that year gave rise to that wretched
      situation of the Community in those poverty and hungry years in which
      that most inhabitants were poor, gave way to going out of town for
      their income and had to earn their bread the hard way. He obtained
      valuable help from District Forester Stockmar, from Deacon Sabel in
      Heidelberg and through finding of jobs from Countess Jenison Walworth
      from London, that lived at times in Heidelberg, as well from the
      Upper Church Council. That Nursery School was at first brought into
      an Inn, then into the Mill, that today was described as Mrs. Ebert's
      Estate, on this in the Kolling's House (previously Butcher Kuhn's).
      In 1857 that then Village Mayor Lieboner from Ursenbach's necessary
      house was acquired opposite the Church, that now is in the possession
      of Hans Arold and in that at times M. Bernauer had a shop. The
      purchase price amounted to 950 Guilders, of which the Upper Church
      Council approved 550 and Deacon Sabel contributed with Countess
      Jenison 400. That first Sister was named Katharina Soulier. In her
      place in 1856 stepped Katharina Kienum (Sister Kathrine). She was
      born in 1834 in Nimberg, worked in Schonau until 1902 and lived there
      in retirement still for 2 years in the said place. She died in 1904
      and obtained in the Schonau Cemetery her last resting place.
      In a more splendid manner in 1856 that 300 year Anniversary of the
      introduction of the Reformation was celebrated. For that those small
      Bells cast by Karl Rosenlacher in Konstantz wre in use for the first

      In April of 1858 Pastor Wilhelm Henninger was awarded that Parish in
      Schonau, that he held until April of 1872. Those number of births in
      this time was astonishingly high. It ranged between 60 and 97.
      About that enormous number of cases of death one was able to be
      shocked. In 1861 it was 60, among them 36 children and 3 stillborn;
      in 1865: 60, among them 37 children and 9 stillborn; in 1866: 50; in
      1867: 36; in 1868: 48; in 1869: 63; in 1870: 68, among them 49
      children; in 1871: 53. In this way of life that was created, was
      that gain of the Medical Science and the Hygenic measures, by that it
      was to have succeeded, to have restrained deaths. Those fruits of
      the Century long endeavors of the people's hygiene was a tremendous
      victory to enjoy in life. In 1862 the District Forester Stockmar
      died, 71 years old. In addition to the Forestry Office, Schonau had
      a Notary's Office, that in 1861 was administered by the Notary
      Wessinger and in 1869 by the Notary Liehl. As Doctors was known in
      1860 the Official Assistant Doctor Aneshausel and in 1863 the
      Assistant Doctor Buisson. That Office of Village Mayor in 1861 was
      filled by the Master Coachbuilder Hopfinger, after whose death in
      1865 was followed by the Master Shoemaker Johannes Simon, then in
      1868 the Merchant Friedrich Scheid.
      The Head Teacher Peter Herion died soon after his retirement in 1867
      at the old age of 82 years. The then Boy's Teacher Eberle was
      followed by Wilhelm Heiler. Following the Girl's Teacher Jack was
      Ludwig Reimold. As a Catholic Teacher worked August Buehler. That
      place of the Community Accuntant was held by Baker Ludwig Scheid. As
      a Constable was known in 1859 the Coachbuilder Friedrich Kern, as a
      Sexton in 1868 the Clothmaker Peter Waltner, as a Postmaster Nikolaus
      Kuhn, as a Forest Guardsman Nikolaus Winnewisser.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.