[ANNOUNCEMENT] TS-101 Optware released

  • Øyvind Repvik
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi,

      I've now gotten most packages in the optware to compile, and have tested a
      couple. For those of you who wish to make a bit more out of your firmware,
      you can now download a new firmware from my mirror at:
      http://mirror.kynisk.com/ts/U_TS-101-optware.img

      Install the firmware, login using telnet, run "install-ipkg" as root and you
      should be set. The package list can be seen with "ipkg list", and new
      packages installed with "ipkg install packagename"

      As I've said earlier, I haven't tested all packages, and they may (although
      unlikely) be destructive. Please, please, please take care and backups! :-)

      Many, many thanks to Byron Zhou for helping me get optware to work!

      Regards,
      Øyvind Repvik
    • Øyvind Repvik
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
        On Saturday 03 March 2007 03:24, Øyvind Repvik wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've now gotten most packages in the optware to compile, and have tested a
        > couple. For those of you who wish to make a bit more out of your firmware,
        > you can now download a new firmware from my mirror at:
        > http://mirror.kynisk.com/ts/U_TS-101-optware.img
        >
        > Install the firmware, login using telnet, run "install-ipkg" as root and
        > you should be set. The package list can be seen with "ipkg list", and new
        > packages installed with "ipkg install packagename"
        >
        > As I've said earlier, I haven't tested all packages, and they may (although
        > unlikely) be destructive. Please, please, please take care and backups! :-)

        I've so far tested openssh, ntop, bash, less, screen, bzip2, joe, strace, svn
        and whois. openssh, ntop and bash don't work right out the box (But they do
        work), the rest of them works. I've tried perl, but it doesn't work quite yet
        due to a library issue. I'll try recompiling it soon.

        Regards,
        Øyvind
      • Øyvind Repvik
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
          On Saturday 03 March 2007 03:24, Øyvind Repvik wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've now gotten most packages in the optware to compile, and have tested a
          > couple. For those of you who wish to make a bit more out of your firmware,
          > you can now download a new firmware from my mirror at:
          > http://mirror.kynisk.com/ts/U_TS-101-optware.img

          Fixed permissions on the link, sorry about that.

          Øyvind
        • MT
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007

            Anyone did test the new firmware on TS-201 as well ?

            Regards,

            Marco

            On Saturday 03 March 2007 03:24, Øyvind Repvik wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I've now gotten most packages in the optware to compile, and have tested a
            > couple. For those of you who wish to make a bit more out of your firmware,
            > you can now download a new firmware from my mirror at:
            > http://mirror. kynisk.com/ ts/U_TS-101- optware.img
            >
            > Install the firmware, login using telnet, run "install-ipkg" as
            root and
            > you should be set. The package list can be seen with "ipkg
            list", and new
            > packages installed with "ipkg install packagename"
            >
            > As I've said earlier, I haven't tested all packages, and they may
            (although
            > unlikely) be destructive. Please, please, please take care and backups!
            :-)

            I've so far tested openssh, ntop, bash, less, screen, bzip2, joe, strace, svn
            and whois. openssh, ntop and bash don't work right out the box (But they do
            work), the rest of them works. I've tried perl, but it doesn't work quite yet
            due to a library issue. I'll try recompiling it soon.

            Regards,
            Øyvind

          • dominhater
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
              Quick qestion: after flashing your build, will the box just behave
              like before with the stock firmware (access/config via the web
              interface etc) + the additional features your build provides ?

              I'm a total Linux beginner, never use it on anything but on some
              embedded devices where i don't really have to deal with commandline
              config, so i just want to be sure!
            • Øyvind Repvik
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
                On Saturday 03 March 2007 23:07, dominhater wrote:
                > Quick qestion: after flashing your build, will the box just behave
                > like before with the stock firmware (access/config via the web
                > interface etc) + the additional features your build provides ?
                >
                > I'm a total Linux beginner, never use it on anything but on some
                > embedded devices where i don't really have to deal with commandline
                > config, so i just want to be sure!

                The firmware will continue to work as before. Infact, the modified firmware
                just adds a couple of symlinks and two shellscripts. It just adds the
                possibility to install extra apps.

                Øyvind
              • dragonstar_starson_sunsoar
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8 7:07 PM
                  Hi Øyvind Repvik,

                  I have tried this out and love it, i hope you dont mind, i uploaded it
                  to http://www.lockstockmods.net/downloads.php?cat_id=5 and put some
                  basic instructions on using it in my article
                  http://www.lockstockmods.net/readarticle.php?article_id=26
                • chinkydud
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 8 7:25 PM
                    Is there some confusion here? The only new article i noticed on your
                    site is the how-to installation of MLDonkey for Synology DS-101/106.
                    It doesnt work for Qnap, the installation steps are found in the forum
                    instead.

                    --- In OpenTurbostation@yahoogroups.com, "dragonstar_starson_sunsoar"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 8 7:56 PM
                      --- In OpenTurbostation@yahoogroups.com, "chinkydud" <chong_gh@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Is there some confusion here? The only new article i noticed on your
                      > site is the how-to installation of MLDonkey for Synology DS-101/106.
                      > It doesnt work for Qnap, the installation steps are found in the
                      forum
                      > instead.

                      Must be some confusion, its the article beneath that in the listing:
                      QNAP TS-101 [NEW]
                      Getting more from the TS-101, this article will try to explain how to
                      get more from the TS-101, there are downloads in the downloads section
                      (probably a lot quicker than trying to get them from the QNAP site).

                      Its not dedicated to the Optware firmware, because, lets face it.. its
                      not rocket science, lol, but ive said how to install it and some basic
                      instructions on how to use it, if anyone can think of anything else
                      please let me know, id be happy to add it. The direct link to the
                      article is http://www.lockstockmods.net/readarticle.php?article_id=26
                      and the part in question is about 2 thirds of the way down and starts
                      3 paragraphs above *Update: MySQL*
                      Also as i stated in the Synology article i didnt write the Synology
                      article, i just included it for reference, as i dont own a Synology, i
                      also havent used MLDonkey, so if anyone has, and would like to write
                      an article for me, that would be great ;)
                      I only found out about this group becuase i bought a TS-101 a long
                      time ago, but only recently started using it, and it was the lack of
                      either PHP5 or MySQL (either would have done) that got me looking at
                      modding it, and brought me here, and even that was indirectly, it was
                      someone on the slimserver forum that pointed me in this direction.
                      The lockstockmods site is just something i play with every now and
                      then, i put articles on there mostly for my own benefit, because i
                      havent had a chance to do anything with it, having said that it still
                      manages to get on the top page when googling "remove drm from wmv"
                      which is where most of the site traffic comes from atm, im just trying
                      to provide useful information to anyone i can, and i love my TS-101
                      especially after getting MySQL on it, so its nice to write about
                      something i enjoy playing with... heh, that could be taken out of
                      context ;)
                    • psycho_thirteen13
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23 2:51 AM
                        I don't know either. I'd like to use that firmware, too, but I doubt
                        that it works. The TS-201 has 2 hard drives and uses RAID. The TS-101
                        usually doesn't... I don't want to brick my device so I haven't tried.

                        Would be awesome if there was a way how to get ipkg working on a 201.

                        Fabian