Re: [OnlineAlpha] 1975 all over again!

  • Scott McIntyre
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2001
      Now, I love Trek, but I too am sick of it getting
      credit for every good idea in the SF universe. Nobody
      ever trashes Roddenberry for ripping off every sci-fi
      story and concept in history to make his show (the
      same thing can be said of George Lucas). You can trace
      Trek's origins to Forbidden Planet, Buck Rogers, Rocky
      Jones, Flash Gordon and many other literary greats.
      But, that's okay. The Trek characters are no more
      different than any Western series cast. The tough but
      tender leader, the cranky doctor and the all-wise best
      friend. Did somebody say "Gunsmoke"?

      I credit the writers of Trek for giving the audience
      some great stories, but it did not influence ALL SF.
      1999 was pretty orignal for TV, but there were
      influences. 2001, Dr. Who and the Anderson's own past
      series, like UFO and Thunderbirds.

      When the second season comes out on DVD, then the
      Trekkies will have something to say, only because
      Frieberger did his best to make 1999 as much like Trek
      as possible. Funny how that wasn't nearly as
      successful.

      Scotty (not from Trek)

      =====
      ssosmcin@...<BR>