Re: [OnlineAlpha] Remake Idea

  • James R. Rowings, J.D.
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011
      I like it!

      The only problem I see is your flawed first paragraph -- Nothing I can
      think of in terms of a remake in the recent past (10 years or so) has
      stayed "/...as true to the original as possible./"

      Jim

      On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Floyd Resler wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The year is 2099 and Earth is planning on launching a manned
      > expedition to the planet Meta. The Meta astronauts have taken ill
      > which jeopardizes the mission. John Koenig is appointed as the new
      > commander. He sole purpose is the get the Meta probe launched with the
      > backup crew. He is told not to worry about the illness or the
      > technical aspects of the Meta mission. You see, the Meta probe will be
      > powered by the Queller Drive. With that drive the journey would take
      > about 40 years. The Lunar Commission has given no details on how the
      > astronauts will survive the long mission.
      >
      > Of course, Koenig immediately begins investigating the illness as soon
      > as he arrives. He learns that small parts of the astronauts' brains
      > are actually missing. Dr. Russell has no explanation other than she is
      > certain it isn't a virus or any other biological agent. The only
      > common factor is that the astronauts, and the few others who are ill,
      > have all worked at the Meta Probe Launch Facility which is off limits
      > to all but authorized personnel. Even though Koenig is the commander
      > of Alpha, he is not authorized to enter the facility. However, he
      > decides to visit it any way. On the way out parts of his Eagle
      > disappear causing him to crash. With the crash of the Eagle a theory
      > develops: antimatter is the culprit. The theory is that in small
      > enough quantities it would just annihilate matter without releasing
      > much energy. It would seem that the Meta Probe Launch Facility has an
      > antimatter reactor.
      >
      > Commissioner Simmonds arrives on the base in an attempt to take charge
      > of the situation and confirms their suspicions. While thinking that
      > the Queller Drive used fast neutrons for propulsion they learn that it
      > is actually a Singularity Mass Drive. It essentially opens a tear in
      > space that allows exceedingly fast space travel. Since it needs a huge
      > amount of power, an antimatter reactor was necessary. The reason it
      > was being kept secret was because both technologies (the drive and
      > antimatter) had been deemed too dangerous and outlawed. Another SMD
      > had been tested on Earth and thousands of people where killed in an
      > accident and a multi-billion dollar facility destroyed.
      >
      > Now the antimatter reactor is leaking and, if containment is
      > completely lost, will explode, destroying the moon and sending all the
      > debris crashing to Earth, eventually wiping out all live there as
      > well. A desperate plan is put into place to try and seal the reactor
      > by dumping a substance called magnecrete on it. The plan succeeds.
      > However, the antimatter reactor overloads and provides the Queller
      > Driver with a huge amount of power. A tear in space opens and the moon
      > is drawn in. Eventually the Alphans learn the Queller Drive activates
      > at a predictable interval and the moon will continue to be drawn into
      > the tear.
      >
      > What do you think? I've actually been working on a novella for this.

    • Jonathan Reiter
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011
        That sounds good. Try it and see if it’s any good.
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011
          It's great! Thank you! I can't wait to read the rest!

          > I thought I would throw in my idea for a remake. Of course, one of the challenges of doing a remake of Space:1999 is making it appeal to today's audiences while staying as true to the original as possible. With that in mind, here's my idea:
          >

          > What do you think? I've actually been working on a novella for this.

        • Floyd Resler
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2011
            You know, that's a good point!

            Take care,