What happened to Product Enterprise?

  • john_koenig_alpha
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
      They did a fairly good job with the 12 inch diecast/plastic Eagles (though hard core detail oriented people had issues with decal placement and minor paint color issues and such) as far as display models go. I would have made them all die cast like the old Dinky Eagles, but the PE models werent meant to be played with like toys.

      I did buy all of the 12 inch ones - at least 1.

      Standard Eagle
      Rescue Eagle
      Freighter Eagle
      Laboratory Eagle
      Laboratory Eagle Gift Set with Laser tank/moon buggy
      VIP Eagle

      Of the special edition ones I did buy one of the Chrome plated eagles but passed on the 22K gold plated one in special red velet coffin box. Those sold for almost $200 retail including shipping if I recall. Too pricey at the time for just 1.

      But they never made a 12" Hawk and sadly it doesnt appear one will be made by the company PE turned into (now called Sixteen12.com). Not having a Hawk in there is like a smile with a missing tooth. The Hawk was only in 1 episode but it was my sentimental favorite and I hope if they reimagine Space 1999 they will include both Hawks and Eagles in the Moonbase fleet.

      Sixteen12.com (what that name refers to, I have no idea) did reissue the Eagle and Rescue 12 inch eagles, but now they have moved into extremely high priced larger models. Twice the size at 10 times the price! The Mark IX Hawk - 19" model - will sell for an insane $825 in US dollars including shipping for a run of only 200. I bought most of my PE Eagles for around $65 including shipping. At that price $825 for just 1 Hawk would buy me an entire fleet of 12 Eagles! And since it would be 1 single piece (no removable passenger module) it would be easier to produce.

      From what Ive read they say production costs have gone up and blame it on Chinese manufacturers. China is the cheapest place to make things! How can costs have gone up to the point where a model less than twice as large as the original 12" Eagle, now costs 12 times as much? Even if I could find 19" Hawk for 50% off at $400 - I couldnt justify spending that much - even $200 would be a stretch for most people. What the heck is wrong with those people? Why didnt they just issue a 12" Hawk at a lower price in line with the old Eagles. Even at say $95 a piece, alot more people are going to be willing to buy at least 1 - many a full fleet of 3 for a WARGAMES reenactment. They could have even made an all white version (shown on Card #22 of the 1976 Donruss set) and a screen version (with orange detailing used in the episode). Now issuing large model special editions like an Ultra Probe or the Bomber from War Games for $200-$300 would have made a bit of sense.

      Starting in 2007 I began a 2 year remodeling project on my house and didnt pay much attention when Product Enterprise morphed into Iconic Reproductions which then turned into Sixteen12 (or Space 1999 much at all). So, when I started looking into the possibility of a 12" Hawk, I was annoyed to see that the odds of it happening are probably zero. Trying to sell overprice larger models doesnt make business sense in the current economi climate. $825 for a single Hawk? If they keep trying that business model they will be filing for bankruptcy. I still have old cheap plastic AIRFIX and MPC models. I guess they will have to do.
    • alphachimp43
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
        Hello,

        I loved the 12 inch Product Enterprise Eagles and collected one of each, too. I was lucky enough to purchase a 23-inch standard Eagle replica (at a very good price) and it is nice, but I am still very sorry to see the Product Enterprise size Eagles go in place of larger and more expensive pieces. For me, storage and display of very large collectibles is also problematic, and expense is an issue.

        It would have been terrific if there could have been more ships (like a Hawk) in scale and in a price range with the "Space 1999" Eagles (12 inch size). I think they were the nicest, ready to display pieces I've seen.

        Perhaps we will see more affordable collectibles in the future, or when economic conditions are more favorable for all.

        Jim

        --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, "john_koenig_alpha" <john_koenig_alpha@...> wrote:

        > They did a fairly good job with the 12 inch diecast/plastic Eagles (though hard core detail oriented people had issues with decal placement and minor paint color issues and such) as far as display models go. I would have made them all die cast like the old Dinky Eagles, but the PE models werent meant to be played with like toys.
        >
        > I did buy all of the 12 inch ones - at least 1.
        >
        > Standard Eagle
        > Rescue Eagle
        > Freighter Eagle
        > Laboratory Eagle
        > Laboratory Eagle Gift Set with Laser tank/moon buggy
        > VIP Eagle

      • alphachimp43
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2010
> [...]
          >
          > Starting in 2007 I began a 2 year remodeling project on my house and didnt pay much attention when Product Enterprise morphed into Iconic Reproductions which then turned into Sixteen12 (or Space 1999 much at all). So, when I started looking into the possibility of a 12" Hawk, I was annoyed to see that the odds of it happening are probably zero. Trying to sell overprice larger models doesnt make business sense in the current economi climate. $825 for a single Hawk? If they keep trying that business model they will be filing for bankruptcy. I still have old cheap plastic AIRFIX and MPC models. I guess they will have to do.

          Hello.
          I loved them, too, and collected them as well as a 23 inch prop of the standard Eagle, which I bought at a good price last year...The Hawk would have sold big (one in scale with the 12 inch Eagles). It would have been terrific to see other "Space 1999" models...a Meta Probe, the space platform, some alien ships and so on. I am thinking about building an AMT/ERTL kit I have and did not build initially.

          Regards,
          Jim