Re: 1999 Uniforms: Cloth type

  • Kerry (a bloke!) and Sharon
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      Jonathan

      All, i know is they were made with a percentage of Wool in the mix.
      Wool is also dam expensive. I'd heard things like Arcrilic Jersey,
      Wool Jersey...etc. The Pyjamers certain look like somesort of nylon or
      synethic cloth, maybe even silk nylon (watching Judy Gleason the other
      day in ATAP) and also the spacesuit. The main uniforms have something
      with some weight in 'em otherwise they would not hang the way they do.
      Items, in lighter cloth will not 'fall' 'drop'. To lighterweight
      cloth for examples can be made to make skirts because they can then
      float but not trousers as they need body to 'em. to 'hand' and 'fall'

      Almost all cloth is now made up in a different fashion and the 70's
      was the begining of this when degrees of polycotton or other
      non-crease synethic's started to be mixed into everything beacase
      people are not interested in time and effort in laundering such and
      expensive upkeep. Wool also can get moth as this is limited in
      synethic cloth types.

      The industry(film TV)likes wool because it taliors well and as a cloth
      it is cool in summer and warm in winter..but it can feel hot and
      itchy. ST:TNG started out as spandex, and then became a wool gaberdine
      mix. Might be usefull to add to this if i can find it the cost
      involved in the cloth used for StarTrek:The Wrath of Khan
      uniforms..that was publish in an old StarLog as it'll show just how
      expensive one to one copies can be as acting man says.

      And Jonathan what sleeve colours would you wear as you don't say?

      kerry

      --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

      > What fabric were the S1999 Alpha Costumes made from? Seems to be as
      though they were made from some sort of Jersey fabric... It can't be
      a synthetic, either... Nor Cotton, which is a natural...

    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        Either Black, Purple, or the same colours as Alan Carter or Sandra Benes...
        Jonathan Michael Reiter
        jmr

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 14, 2009
          Alphans All

          Well here is the latest zip update. Found someone whom had zips but
          they turned out to be white or silver metal that she'd of sold on at a
          very nice price but were of no use. I contacted a shop in Tavistock on
          Dartmoor(where Sherlock Holmes confronted the hound of the
          Baskervilles....yes the place actually exists!!) and seemed to get
          confusing messages from one day to the next as to their exact stock!
          Given, that the higher ground around here at the time was somewhat
          bogged down with snow i decided that a actual visit to find out the
          truth could wait till another day when the weather was better. I am in
          Newton Abbott on Friday and i am told there are three sewing outlets
          there that i'll have a look to see what is on offer..if anything at all.

          The, main dealer i use may of found someone whom has size 26inch zips
          but you have to buy in sets of 3. I could possibly buy online which
          might be cheaper per item but the postage would be expensive due to
          the weight of the brass. I like the idea of having 10 or 20 zips in
          stock....that this means if 10 then five tunics can be made that if
          male you need two zips per uniform..(female uniforms if skirt is
          required use one) for 10 zips this would be £35 approx $50 or if i
          look to get 2o the prefer no to keep so many zips in stock as they
          come in and out of fashion this would be £75 = to a $101 US dollars

          The search continues ut this is at least hopeful. I am currently
          comuicating with someone who wants a Bilar Crais outfit from Farscape
          that profit from this maybe able to be reinvested in buying the
          required number of zips!

          Kerry

          --- In OnlineAlpha@yahoogroups.com, "Kerry (a bloke!) and Sharon"